• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new engine, same tranny. am i right here?

Wallyman

NAXJA Forum User
This is an easy one but since i am waiting on my head to get back from the machine shop i have time to research and prepare. I am going to leave the original transmission(AW4) in the MJ, and install a donor engine (4.0). I am going to use the flywheel from the donor engine and the torque converter from the original tranny. Sound right? I dont think the T/C matters really but i dont want to have to pull it out again.
I bought hardened motor mounts, a stainless header, totally redoing the exhaust with a Thrush muffler (im on a budget and itll do for a while), and thats about it except ill have to come up with a high flow intake to replace the stock airbox which is a goner. Im good with plumbing though, thatll be easy.
With the head getting a valve job and the planing, it should run great. (fingers crossed)
So my question was about the flywheel and Torque converter. thoughts?

The flywheel/flexplate has to be the right one for your injection system. You didn't state the year of the Jeep or the year of the donor engine. I would play it safe and use the original flexplate if it's in good shape.

The flywheel/flexplate has to be the right one for your injection system. You didn't state the year of the Jeep or the year of the donor engine. I would play it safe and use the original flexplate if it's in good shape.

CORRECT! I did not, sorry. The comanche is an 87 and the donor is a 90 or 91 (not sure) So i think ill be okay. Im leaving the donor flexplate on its engine.

As long as your donor is a renix then it will be fine, if it is really a 91, then it will be an HO which has a different flexplate.

Back