• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the piece called.....96 XJ

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I need the painted piece that runs the legnth of the front end just above the grill and in front of the hood. Something bouncing on the freeway smashed my headlight and all of the trim around it, broke my grill, and broke the piece that Im talking about (turns out its fiberglass), great way to start the morning. I love my jeep to death but I am just glad that I wasn't driving my mustang, repairs would have cost a little more. Anyways Im wondering what this piece is called so I can search around the internet and see if I can find a white one.

Thanks

From what I pulled up on ebay, it looks like what I am looking for is just above that, it is painted the body color. The piece I need is right where the bug deflector would mount

I also have a 96 sport that had the front end totaled by a hybrid one day. Your header panel spans the entire front which encompasses both light set ups and separate plastic grill piece. Something I learned while repairing my xj...if your header panel is broken in five places, don't bother trying to fiberglass the parts back together unless you enjoy breathing that dust. Forget EBAY since the day of good deals ended two months after its inception...visit your local salvage yard and buy the entire panel, regardless of its color. Think about it, in 1996, they manufactured over 286,000 cherokees which was the largest number made in any one year. Add to that number nearly another million cherokees made in the previous six years who's parts can be utilized on yours, and you are sitting pretty right where you want to be...supply outdoing demand. Replacing your header panel is easy, just pay attention to how you remove the old one and then reverse the process. There is actually very little area that is painted since most is covered by lights and grill. I feel lucky that not only I own an xj, but that it is also a 96 model. (no offense intended, just pride in ownership)

The "official" name according to the FSM is the GOP - Grille Opening Panel ... however, it is also listed as the header panel in the online product inventory. Factory PN#5529 4926

Back