• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project- Cherry Popper

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
So this is my first real 4x4 build on a cherokee although its not my first one as this one is my fourth but like i said my first 4x4 build. So first off here is the beauty the day i got her home
DSC01421-1.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

not the prettiest thing yet but cant complain for free:D.
so next was a engine swap as the one in it was dead
heres the first motor
DSC01429.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

got it out and pulled the valve cover to check it out
DSC01435.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

no wonder it would run next was the new engine
DSC01439.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

much nicer:D
DSC01445.jpg

also new motor mounts nothing special but beets the old ones which were no longer in existance

next thing was to get some bumpers made got the rear 3/4 done this staurday
DSC01451.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

a little on the thick side but for free cant complain:)
DSC01459.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

next was the mock up the d-shackles my dad made got them tacked to see how i liked the look
DSC01468.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

and then unfortunately my batteries died so ill have to get some pictures of it all welded up asap

How are those mounts attached? If they're just welded to the skin, es no bueno.

As soon as you finish the bumpers, cut those godawful tube steps off and build some decent rails. Those things are hideous! :laugh2:

Since that skin is quarter, assuming it all welded right and the mounts to the jeep don’t suck, he should be ok. I say ok cause I would never use d rings, cause you still need a screw pin anchor shackle to attach a strap to it, or do the pain-in-the-ass-to-get-it-off-once-you-pull-on-it loop.

Never had any major difficulty using d-rings to attach a strap...

CromeY, yes I meant the mounts for the shackles. It looks like they're welded to the skin of the bumper only, most I see use a "tab" that goes through the bumper, welded on both sides, and tied into the mounts somehow. :)

i agree i dont think i would feel all that comforatble pulling on those. remember the guy pulling is the one who will get the d ring flung at him if your welds break!

actually those should pretty strong, look like any "weld on D ring". Like the ones that arnt removable. Same things they use on a barge to hold down heavy items...theay weld them were they want them, then use a plasma when they need to go.

I think that the drings will be fine! Its welded to 1/4" which i twice what some bumpers are. Just burn it in good. I like the build so far. good luck with the rest!

Since that skin is quarter, assuming it all welded right and the mounts to the jeep don’t suck, he should be ok. I say ok cause I would never use d rings, cause you still need a screw pin anchor shackle to attach a strap to it, or do the pain-in-the-ass-to-get-it-off-once-you-pull-on-it loop.
i have screw pin shackles if i need them but i see your point on if i just used a stap and then yanked on it would be difficult to get off

CromeY, yes I meant the mounts for the shackles. It looks like they're welded to the skin of the bumper only, most I see use a "tab" that goes through the bumper, welded on both sides, and tied into the mounts somehow. :)[/QUOTE]
they are just welded to the skin but like austinaubinoe said there just like any other weld on ones and i figured 1/4 to 1/4 burned in real good should be ok

I think that the drings will be fine! Its welded to 1/4" which i twice what some bumpers are. Just burn it in good. I like the build so far. good luck with the rest!

:) ty

It looks like the "d ring" on each side is formed out of 1/4" plate. I am no metallurgist but I believe the 1/4" plate would fail quite easily. The threaded pin type of shackle eye is heat treated and made to withstand huge forces.

if those hoops are beveled and welded properly they will take alot more force than that little jeep or anything pulling on it will ever think of generating

if those hoops are beveled and welded properly they will take alot more force than that little jeep or anything pulling on it will ever think of generating
Yup They use those same type of d rings to hold down Abrams tanks other various military sundries to rail cars! your not gona break those with a jeep! If the welds are good!!!
Leave the guy alone looks like a good start on a build

Yup They use those same type of d rings to hold down Abrams tanks other various military sundries to rail cars! your not gona break those with a jeep! If the welds are good!!!
Leave the guy alone looks like a good start on a build
That's good, the tie down rings on military equipment are heat treated and made of high quality steel.

point is your not gona break those loose with a jeep EVER

Back