• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best brakes for xj 44s?

dfjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I may be picking up an 87 XJ 44 rear but the brakes are mostly missing so I was pricing out what would be the best option for it. My rear is out on my 97 and I am hoping to get everything together this week to swap over next weekend. I have searched and seen the disc conversions using Explorer or Crown Vic 8.8 parts but they require junkyard parts and a custom spacer which I don't have the time for right now. Does anyone make a bolt on conversion kit for an affordable price? Will the stock D35 drums bolt on for now till I can get the disc brake stuff? Is there a good source for the stock D44 drum brake parts? Other ideas?

i just did the same thing. decided not to do the disc swap. it cost me about $200 for everything. drums, shoes, hardware kit, wheel cylinders, and adjusters brand new. I know everyone says "do the disc swap" , but I'm not running 35's or have the time to do the conversion. my drums were warped on the d35 and i just needed to get the damn thing under there. I may or may not do the disc swap when i regear. I got all the parts from advanced auto. they priced matched everything from NAPA. NAPA had the drums for 47.89 each, but not in stock.

What drums are you using and did you get the parts for? The Dana 44 drums or the 9" drums off the Dana 35. If my 9" drums will bolt up I will run them for now and upgrade to discs when I have the time but right now I just need to get this thing underneath my XJ as its my DD and borrowing a car from my in laws sucks

I got all the parts for the 44. I had the D44 sitting there and I was going to regear, but the brakes went bad on my D35. I had a choice, either put $200 into the D35 or the D44. I'll regear later, I need my DD. Reguardless I had to buy new drums, shoes and a wheel cylinder for either of them. better off putting it into the 44.

I have searched and seen the disc conversions using Explorer or Crown Vic 8.8 parts but they require junkyard parts and a custom spacer which I don't have the time for right now.

You can also use a Rubicon D44 retainer plate instead of the space + your XJ D44 retainer plate. Dealer has them for 15 bucks.

Probably the best/cheapest conversion is the stock jeep conversion.
The major modification is to the caliper bracket/backing plate. Look here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1025817

He would still need the Rubi retainer plate or the Teraflex spacer, this conversion was done on a 8.25.

Thanks for the replies, I am still torn if I should get this and build it up or go with an 8.25... trying to add up all the costs and availability of parts.

It's not cheap, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Teraflex D44 kit.

This ended up being the route I took when I got my D44 - the axle came without brakes and as I was using my XJ semi-regularly for towing at the time, I didn't want to risk having junkyard brake components fail on me with 2.5 tons of car and trailer attached to the Jeep. At the time it hurt to have to make that purchase, but three years later it's been worth every penny. Went on with zero problems, too.

Again it'll come down to how you're using your XJ, but if it's doable at a stretch I can very highly recommend it.

my D44 disc brake swap;
zj backing plates, calipers, lines, -60$ at jy
new rotors and pads-75 autozone
new bearings and seals for the shafts -140 (including 20 to have them pressed)
some grinding and drilling on the zj backing plates-free
brake fluid-5
tj backing plates(with correct spacers built in)-30 at dealer
300$

im not sure what xj drums will cost new, but i got the shoes for dirt cheap the week before, like 13$ and 7$ for rebuild kit, so like 20$
i would guess the drums are around 45-70 each new

"Best" brakes? Wilwood.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985880&highlight=Wilwood

P1011830.jpg

Back