• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will these gears work?

justjeep94

NAXJA Forum User
Dana 30 front end. Came out of a 1978 CJ 5. 4.88 gears, disc brakes, warren hubs. Everything is there. $100.oo

3o73p73l95O95T45Rda2q4bdea1ac3ea21d47.jpg

Will i be able to take gears out of a passanger side drop dana 30 and put them in a hp drivers side drop axle?
Thanks

Passenger/driver side drop doesn't mean anything, if it's a HP30 then the gears will work for your HP 30.

If the D30 from the cj is a HP and you've got a HP then just take the gears out of the cj axle and install in yours (of course using a new installation kit as you don't want to reuse the hardware that was in the other one.

While the gears will fit, no one has addressed the issue of reusing old gears. Setting up gears utilizes the tightest tolerances in the whole vehicle. Getting the tolerances correctly set on a used set of gears is a non trivial task. Even correctly set up used gears are known to many times have very loud gear whine.

Many installers will simply refuse to set up used gears.

I thought that a 78 had a LP D30?

Besides the HP/LP difference, I believe there is a difference in gears for a CJ 30 and TJ/XJ/ZJ 30. I think one uses pinion shims and the other uses a crush sleave. When I was looking into I found that they were different.

The CJ front axle: If it's a stock axle. The gears are NOT interchangable with any of the Cherokee axles. The CJ housing is low pinion. Also, they made a change in the housing to a "short pinion" design.
The locking hubs will also not work without serious modification. They changed the knuckles on the later axles, and the early outers won't fit on the new model inner "C". Sorry.

as stated a cj is different than a hp30 yj/xj, which is different than the short tj/late xj, so they won't fit and reusing gears is ok, as long as the gears themselves are in good shape, especially for the front because they are not driving until you put the truck in 4wd, the tricky part is being able to reset them as close to the original settings as possible, take some measurements before disassembly first, then try to duplicate the setup, this will help to cut down on noise, which again you really won't notice till you are 4 wheelin

Back