• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose rear leaf on RE leaf pack

Shermellow

NAXJA Forum User
walking home today pass my XJ and notice wow the vehicle is leaning very heavily to the drivers side. take a look at rear end first. OH wow the bottom two leaf's of the pack on the drivers side are loose and free to move between the u-bolts... a friend and i installed the lift about 5 months ago leaves were fine then and i haven't even abused it. Just wanting to know how to fix this if possible and what issues it will bring. thanks.

By the way i am using the RE 5.5" xtreme duty short arm kit. the rear leafs are from that kit same with u-bolts, shims, bushings, and shackles

smack the leaves back into alignment with a small sledge
re-torque everything, maybe some green locktite
make sure the clamps are still on

mine do the same thing

[FONT=&quot]When installing rear leaf springs, I find that they need to be-torque tow or three times before the finally seat in and stop loosening.[/FONT]

In addition to what was said...
-Take all the weight off of the axle, letting it droop, loosen the u bolts, hit the leafs back into place
-Tighten the u bolts in a criss cross pattern like you would for your wheel nuts.

I've had to tighten mine after wheeling, they like to come loose.

had the same problem and it still continues to happen. i tightened my u bolts many times and i even replaced them. nothing is working. rubicon express keeps saying its normal.

o its normal my ranger had deaver lt leafs rear i had to smack them back and tighten now and again my yota crawler did it and my jeep does it. its just something you get used to on an off road truck. flexing seems co cause them do move on mine. just smack them back tighten u bolts and just check them sometimes.

should they be causing one side to sit lower when they are out though? or not cause thats my main concern now i guess

Because my drivers side sides a noticeable 3ish inches lower than the passenger side but you can only tell in the rear

If the leaves are fanned to the point that they are not supporting the one above, it will sag, it takes the combined total of all the leaves to acheive the lift they are supposed to have

i dont think its possible for the leaves to fan that bad. the u bolts only let them go so far. plus only two will fan not the whole pack unless the leaf clamp breaks

he really needs to take it completely lose and check the center pin and that he does not have a broken leaf, at this point it is all guessing

center pin is fine (and it was only the bottom two leaves, i think i stated that at beggining too) took it all apart today, bumped them back into place tightened u-bolts etc... still sagging though, and i measured the difference as well and its 2 and 1/8 inches difference in heighth. the only thing i can think of would be that, that particular leave pack was just not as good of quality as the other and couldnt hold up to the torque of the drivetrain like the other, i plan on swapping the right and left leaves here soon and wait couple months, then compare the sag in that one as well...

if it sags like the other maybe i'll just get taller flexable shackles anybody using those? reccomend or avoid them? or run some different leaves altogether any reccomendations?

Back