• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How are 98+ limited door pockets attached to door panels?

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering how the Country 98+ limited door pockets are attached to the door panel? Do they use fasteners or are the pockets molded to the door panel? I'd like to install some on my '99 Classic if possible.

I believe they are molded on, they are shown in the parts catalog as part of the door's interior panel, not as a separate piece.

There is a vendor on NAXJA that makes nice add on pockets in aluminum.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the pockets are separate pieces that are "Melted" to the door panel. IIRC the pockets has some posts cast into the surface the goes against the door panel a and are inserted in holes in said panel, then the posts are melted down to form a sort of "rivet", kinda like what they do on Hot Wheels cars to keep the bodies on the chassis'.

The following is from the 97-99 Parts Catalog.

Please note the word "Saddle" in the descriptions--those are the door panels with the pockets:

Illustration item No. 1 PANEL, Front Door Trim
QL60 1C3 1 J 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, With Power, 1997
XJ, Right
QL61 1C3 1 J 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, With Power, 1997
XJ, Left
QL61 1T6 1 J 72 Saddle, Vinyl, With Power, 1997
XJ, Left
5EH3 21C3 1 B, U 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, Without Power,
1997 XJ, Right
1 J, T 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, Without Power,
1997 XJ, Right
5EH3 21T6 1 B, U 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, 1997
XJ, Right
1 J, T 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, 1997
XJ, Right
5EH3 31C3 1 J, T 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, Without Power,
1997 XJ, Left
1 B, U 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, Without Power,
1997 XJ, Left
5EH3 31T6 1 J, T 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, 1997
XJ, Left
1 B, U 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, 1997
XJ, Left
5EH35 1C3AB 1 J, T 72 Mist Gray, With Power Mirrors
Only, 1997 XJ, Left
5EH35 1T6AB 1 J, T 72 Saddle, With Power Mirrors Only,
1997 XJ, Left
QL60 1C3 1 J, T 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, With Power, Up to
2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Right
5EH32 1C3AD 1 J, T 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, Without Power,
After 2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Right
5EH32 1T6AB 1 J, T 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, Up
to 2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Right
5EH32 1T6AD 1 J, T 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, After
2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Right
5EH33 1C3AB 1 J, T 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, Without Power,
Up to 2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Left
5EH33 1C3AD 1 J, T 72 Mist Gray, Vinyl, Without Power,
After 2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Left
5EH33 1T6AB 1 J, T 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, Up
to 2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Left
5EH33 1T6AD 1 J, T 72 Saddle, Vinyl, Without Power, After
2-5-98, 1998 XJ, Left

This is not a complete listing of all the panels available with or without "Saddles" in the various colors, right and left, put I didn't feel like copying the other 1/2 page of part numbers and descriptions.

Now, please don't take this to mean you can't cut the "Saddles" off of door panels and reuse them, but they only come as part of the panels.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the pockets are separate pieces that are "Melted" to the door panel. IIRC the pockets has some posts cast into the surface the goes against the door panel a and are inserted in holes in said panel, then the posts are melted down to form a sort of "rivet", kinda like what they do on Hot Wheels cars to keep the bodies on the chassis'.

Yep, thats how it is. The door pocket post are hollow. Drivers side pocket came loose from the melted rivet looking piece breaking off, must have kicked it with my foot getting in/out. Anyway I used a short flathead sheet metal screw, backside of the door panel into the hollow post of the door pocket to re-secure it, worked perfect.

Yep, thats how it is. The door pocket post are hollow. Drivers side pocket came loose from the melted rivet looking piece breaking off, must have kicked it with my foot getting in/out. Anyway I used a short flathead sheet metal screw, backside of the door panel into the hollow post of the door pocket to re-secure it, worked perfect.

yes, they aren't screwed on or anything, I thought it was glued at first, but melted is how they are.

my front corner of my driver's side came off, so I took a black screw and screwed it back in, hidden by the carpet like material. can't even tell. you might be able to do that, goto a JY pull them off (carefully) and screw them in... maybe.

Ah, that's right, I forgot they were hollow, and your fix is pretty much how the guys who modify diecast models and HotWheels put them back together. I still have to pull my doorpanel off sometime between spring and next winter to fix the power window issue on my Limited and put the D/S door speaker back in, I'll try to remember to Take pics of how it's done.

Just had mine off today. Fixed the non functional windows at the other three doors.
Yup. Melted posts hold near everything together. I was succesful at removing the bezel for the window, mirror, door lock module and replacing it. I found another door panel with a good one and swapped it out I would have used the door panel but it was for a 2000 which is different then a 98 and it was slightly different in color.

Just had mine off today. Fixed the non functional windows at the other three doors.
Yup. Melted posts hold near everything together. I was succesful at removing the bezel for the window, mirror, door lock module and replacing it. I found another door panel with a good one and swapped it out I would have used the door panel but it was for a 2000 which is different then a 98 and it was slightly different in color.

how are the 2000 door panels different from a 1998?

also, has anyone sucessfully taken off the padded part (most are black, it's where the wood would be on a limited, it's the bulkier bezel above the arm rest)? I have 2001 limited door panels, but they were from the JY and cracked. I want to take off this part that includes the wood and swap it to a black door panel that isn't cracked. I'm pretty sure they are melted posts... anyway to reattach this?

2000 dirver door panel: on the upper forward location there is an extension that includes a screw hole. My 98 didn't have that, otherwise I think it would have fit. I didn't try it.

These aren't the greatest photos in the world, but they should help to show what's going on in there. These are a detail of where the map pocket pulled out at the leading edge on my 2000; I have no idea what differences (if any) are present on other years. Apologies for the huge images; I don't have anything on this machine that I can use to edit them down to something more manageable and still keep detail.

SukxF.jpg

OonR9.jpg

In the second photo, you can see where part of the stud in the map pocket got left behind in the upper mounting hole, but left part of itself attached to the pocket on the lower hole. It's been a long time since I've opened the panels up so don't remember exactly how they attach at the back, but my recollection is that they're not entirely dissimilar to the plastic mollies used to hang pictures.

The following is from the 97-99 Parts Catalog.

Please note the word "Saddle" in the descriptions--those are the door panels with the pockets:

This is not a complete listing of all the panels available with or without "Saddles" in the various colors, right and left, put I didn't feel like copying the other 1/2 page of part numbers and descriptions.

Now, please don't take this to mean you can't cut the "Saddles" off of door panels and reuse them, but they only come as part of the panels.

While you're correct that the Door Pockets are only available as part of the panel assembly, "Saddle" was not the door pockets, it was just the fancy name they used for "tan" in '97-'98. The two color options were "Mist Gray" and "Saddle". If you look a couple of pages ahead at the '99 section of your parts manual, you'll notice the descriptions become "Agate" and "Camel".

In my Parts Manual, it lists "Sales Codes" with "CBV" indicating Cloth with Map Pocket and "CBZ" indicating Premium Vinyl with Map Pocket.

[QUOTE='97-'99 Parts Manual]

First Page of the 4 Door '97-'98 Listings:

CBW= Highland Vinyl
CBV= Cloth With Map Pocket
CBZ= Premium Vinly With Map Pocket
GVB= Power Mirrors
JPA= Power Windows
JPB= Power Locks

L=Low Line
J=LHD (4WD)
U=RHD (4WD)
T=LHD (2WD)