• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help With Shims

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i am trying to work some problems out of my 90 Jeep Cherokee that I recently put a RE 4.5inch lift on. So far I am running everything stock as far as the rear driveshaft, and I don't have alot of vibes or anything. But I want to bring the rear pinion angle up so its not so nasty. Will 4 degree shims do the trick for this?

And secondly I am trying to get rid of a death wobble I have been getting when I hit a bump at about 70mph. Everything looks to be tight so from the reading I've done on the web one of the major possible causes could be my caster angle that I have not adjusted. I got the non-adjustable control arms so I am going to try putting shims on my lower control arms. You can see where I am at from the post lift alignment readings I got.

So now the bottom line is what size shims do I need to get castor angle to be something more reasonable? I understand you can get these from the dealer.

alignement.gif

Last edited:
In my opinion it sounds like your steering/trac bar angles aren't so hot. But, I'm assuming you've already lookied into it and ruled that out. So, here's my advice for caster/shims. (not that it's very good :) )

4 degree shims sound "about" right. Trial and error will be part of your game plan here. The control arm shims aren't that hard to make. I'd say buy the smallest shim the dealer has and if it doesnt do the trick trace it out on some sheet metal and cut that out - presto more shims without dealer prices. Stack the shims until you get the angle you desire. Watch your front pinion angle, though. You'll usually be best off "compromising" between pinion angle and correct caster angle.

Last edited:
Per 90 FSM caster range is 5~9 degrees; "set to" is 6 degrees.

I am running 7 degrees on 4.5" lift in front.

I would source some shims from the salvage yard or make your own from scrap.

As for DW--inspect and replace worn components.

Back