• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full time / part time?

96XJ_4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I read a post that said there is a Full Time light?
In 4x4 low and high I only ever see part time lit up on mine...?

I read a post that said there is a Full Time light?

There is a light. Whether or not it will come on depends on the following:

In 4x4 low and high I only ever see part time lit up on mine...?

It sounds like you have the NP231 transfer case, which did not have the locking centre diff that the NP242 did. Easy way to tell: if your transfer case selector positions are 2HI, 4HI, N, and 4LO, you have a 231; if they're 2HI, 4HI Part-Time, 4HI Full-Time, N, and 4LO, you have a 242. To double-check, crawl under the Jeep and look at the tag on the transfer case. FWIW, full-time 4HI is basically an AWD mode; only the Part-Time light will come on if you have a 231.

Last edited:
1743d1235614168-np231-np242-one-better-242-bezel.jpg

1744d1235614168-np231-np242-one-better-231-bezel.jpg

Top is the 242 TC
Bottom is the 231 TC

I have the 231 and i dont get the part time light, possibly its burnt out?

Either that, or the switch on the case is shot or out of alignment. Some years (IIRC) were vacuum-actuated; knowing the year involved would help.

Good info!

So the 231 is not as good?

What does a locking center diff do exactly?

Again, sorry for dumb ?s...I am just used to tracking a car; not dirt wheeling ;)

Good info!

So the 231 is not as good?

Take a look at this thread for more info - this question gets asked a lot around here, and there are some good opinions regarding both transfer cases in there.

What does a locking center diff do exactly?

It permits the front and rear axles to turn at different rates when unlocked and in 4WD. This effectively gives you an AWD mode that can be used on solid surfaces without binding the drivetrain.

Just searched google....( all my posting has been from iPhone!)
lol

The major difference with the NP242 is that in 4WD Fulltime the transfer case is 'differentiated" meaning the outer front wheel can spin faster/slower than the rear without binding. With a 231 you'd feel the vehicle jerks/binds as it turns.

The 231 needs a surface where the tire can slip and not bind, like dirt/snow for example whereas the 242 does not. (in fulltime)
correct?

Back