• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to Install a Tranny Temp Guage ! Where?

98 jeepjeep

NAXJA Forum User
98 AW4 4.0

It was reccomended to me tap the pan for the sender.....For right now i want to keep a eye on the temps and want the most accurate measurement. If it runs hotter with my new lift and tires than i will be installing a Big aftermarket cooler in place of the In radiator one......So would the pan give me a correct reading.? thanks

The pan is really thin, you won't get a good secure mount if you try and tap it. Either pull it all the way off and weld in a bung or split one of the lines and use a T-fitting to install the sensor.

They are 3/8" to the best of my knowledge. I would get a cheap single flaring kit at Home Depot and hit up the plumbing aisle for some flare-to-NPT fittings, an NPT T-fitting, whatever adapter is needed to put the sensor into the T-fitting, and some PTFE pipe dope.

EDIT: Hommersimpson, why not just put a 65mph governor on your XJ instead of making the speedo work?

ok i got the union... i believe the top line is the feed out of the tranny before cooler correct? i will be installing a cooler. since it uses the radiator to head up the fluid i would need a cooler with a Thermal Bypass correct?

the 97+ have a nice spot right in front on the 4wd lever. it can be a little tough to see in 2wd, but i really only look at it when im in 4L and at that point its in clear view

2lm32b6.jpg

I don't think they are 3/8", If I remember right they are metric(aw-4 is a Toyota trans) but I may be wrong...I think they are 14mm x ???

I would put the sensor in the output line of the tranny so you can see how hot it is before it gets cooled. I highly recommend as you suggested putting in an auxiliary cooler instead of running the tranny fluid through the cooler in the radiator. The cooler in the radiator is a good place to run your power steering fluid through.

not quite - the AW-4 is actually an Aisin Warner transmission, it's used in XJs and also in Toyotas (as the A340.) I'm nearly certain that the line fittings are SAE though, as I know people have had success replacing those blasted quick disconnects with NPT threaded brass. When I bought 3/8" steel tubing (brake/cooler line at autismzone) for use installing a transmission cooler, it felt exactly like the same diameter as the stock lines when holding it. I'd have to break out the calipers to make sure though.

Back