• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bearings going out?

B192734

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone out there able to describe what you hear if you have front bearings going out? I'm getting a whining noise (not always, though) that is definitely connected to the front end, and will change pitch based on the speed of the Jeep. I personally don't think it sounds like metal on metal, but can't really describe what it sounds like. It's not always present, some =times everything runs perfectly quietly, and other times I can hear it as soon as I start moving. At higher speeds, it goes away, or I just can't hear it over the road noise. Anyone else ever get this, or hear of this? Been going on for quite a while and I would like to get it taken care of soon if it really is bearings or something else going out. Don't want to get stuck on top of a mountain or anything...

Wheel bearings certainly can cause a whirring noise, so I think it would be a good idea to check. If you jack up the wheel in question, you can sometimes feel the roughness even if there's no play. It can be a bit difficult to separate axle shaft and brake drag from bearing feel, but often if the bearing races are pitted, you'll feel it or hear it. If you feel roughness when the wheel spins, it's bad. If there's play it's certainly bad, and overdue.

Sorry -- I needed to erase my post. Someone can delete this if they know how. I accidently replied to the wrong thread.

However, since I put the post up, I would definately check your wheel bearings as someone else has already suggested.

Last edited:
Back