• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Suggestions

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of getting new tires for my 90 cherokee with 4.5inch lift and stock gearing, since what I got is a mix and match of used tires. So what are some brands you guys have had good luck with?

I want to go with 31's maybe 32's at the biggest. I am kind of on a budget so I would like to keep it at around $500.

you can give treadwright a shot. I've been running mine for like 3k miles and i have had absolutely no issues. they look like brand new BFG a/t's

If you are running 3.55 gears, I'd say stick with 31" tires, then plan for an appropriate upgrade to gears, SYE, 5.5" lift, and 33" tires in the future. You know, realistic upgrades and future project planning is what sets up apart from the animals.

nother vote for treadwright. they are simply a great tire. Well wearing, high quality, fast shipping, good customer service.

I had one tire in the three sets that i've owned, come to my door looking a bit dry-rotted, i called, sent a photo, and within a day, had a new tire at my front door.

No questions asked. They said, "it shouldn't look like that, very sorry, please except a free replacement."

The tire I got looked like the other three. nothing like the blem one. ran that set for about 20k miles and they still looked to have about 1/2 tread left.

I am thinking of getting new tires for my 90 cherokee with 4.5inch lift and stock gearing, since what I got is a mix and match of used tires. So what are some brands you guys have had good luck with?

I'll second the recommendation that if you're on 3.55 gearing you should stick to 31" tyres.

I want to go with 31's maybe 32's at the biggest. I am kind of on a budget so I would like to keep it at around $500.

This will likely blow your budget a bit, but: BFG T/A KOs. They're not the most aggressive thing out there, but I've run them with good success over the last few years and for light to moderate wheeling, they'll be fine. They are definitely not the best in mud, however, and are not a snow tyre, but are effective enough in it. For desert & mountain use around SoCal, though, they served me fine, and I've still got good tread on them 45,000 miles later (though they are getting close to needing replacement).

What kind of wheeling are you planning on doing? Knowing this will help with reaching a consensus.

im planning on doing some minor rockcrawling and some trails which treadwright is the best the guard dog or crawler m/t the guard dog has deeper tread at 19/32 while the crawler has 16/32 tread depth

I would recommend the ones that look like the Goodyear MT/Rs

I would recommend the ones that look like the Goodyear MT/Rs

Do you mean the Duratracs? I just put on a set of those at the end of December, and let me tell you I'm impressed.

They're not much louder than a pure A/T, they're great in the snow (mountain-snowflake rated), and ride fairly comfortably on pavement. Siped to high heaven too - the tread's completely covered in siping grooves.

I've only been offroad once with them, but they made my Toyo A/Ts (which I thought were pretty good, even if not totally a match for the BFGs) look like slicks - I climbed rocks that I spun the Toyos on without the slightest spin or slip. The way these things just grab and bite in the rocks was nothing short of astonishing. I don't know that any pure A/T would be able to keep up with them, all other things being equal.

They might be a little more than you wanted to spend, but give them a good look anyway.

i sugg the bfg mud terrains i just got some and they are workin great so far found them on ebay brand new for 530 shipped to my door... the guy has more but there for a 16 inch wheel

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I would like to be doing more off road but I am afraid most of my driving is going to be around town. I do want something at least decently capable off road though.

I am definitely going to go for 31's. Thats what I have on there now and I am happy with them. Been looking at the treadrights and they look pretty good and the price is nice. Sounds like a good deal, especially if I can get them mounted and balanced myself.

Get a price through www.summitracing.com. You might even get a better deal with tire/rim combos.

I've had two sets of BFG A/T KO's and really like them. Airing them down to 12-18 psi gives a very grabby platform for most types of terrain. That's a good all-round tire.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I would like to be doing more off road but I am afraid most of my driving is going to be around town. I do want something at least decently capable off road though.

I am definitely going to go for 31's. Thats what I have on there now and I am happy with them. Been looking at the treadrights and they look pretty good and the price is nice. Sounds like a good deal, especially if I can get them mounted and balanced myself.

Treadwright is a good choice. I ran them on my old XJ and it ate front ones(bad alignment/ didn't rotate them) but the rear tires had tons of tread left after 14,000 miles or so.

FlexXJ Turned me on to the Treadwright's. I ende up going with 31 x 10.50 BFG KM2's. they are great tires can not wait to really work them at winterfest. Anyway I ende up buying a Treadwright for my spare and it was WAY nicer than i thought it would be. I would not have a problem running a set of them if i would not have had enough cash for the BFG's. The funny thiong is i got my treadwrite and it just happend to be a BFG AT that they did the retread on so my spare looks like my other tires.I have a pic of the 31 x 10.50 if you want to see what one looks like but this post will not accept pics.

Treadwright can match almost any tire. I wanted all 5 of my treadwright a/t's to be bfg a/t carcasses and they did it for me. All 5 matching!! Not necessary but I'm kind of weird about that stuff so it made me happy haha

another thing is that all three sets of treadwright's (then they were called Hi-tech retreads) balanced very easily with very little weight.

Generally speaking they are a very "true" tire.

I've also been quite impressed with the GY Duratrac in the mix of weather from of a Colorado winter. I looked at the Treadwright's but with shipping and install costs found them not to be much cheaper. Treadwright also didn't have a tread pattern that fit my needs of an aggressive AT.

It's worth noting that the TW warranty does not cover tires that have been run aired down.

Back