• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pretty sweet DIY tube notcher

Mr.Shrek

NAXJA Forum User
Found this over on pirate and thought it would be nice to share with you guys.
Here is a link to Scout4X4's thread on pirate: slick homebrew notcher
Been toying with the idea of building my own notcher, figured today was as good a day as any.

I've got about $50 bucks in it.

Started with an old winch roller and fold up jack

DSCN2556.jpg

Took the roller apart (it'll make sense in a minute)and got to work on the jack. Cut the mount off in order to get it spaced down since I was mounting it upside down to my shop table and using my vise to hold the tube.

DSCN2557.jpg

Trailer jacks have a dimple in the body that keep the leg in a track & prevent it from spinning. That was a problem for me b/c I needed the leg to spin in order to get different angles of notches. I decided to take the jack apart and cut the dimple out (pic is after i put it back together)

DSCN2570.jpg

Since i had removed the dimple the leg was now free to spin. Now all I needed was a way to keep it in place while notching. I already had it apart so the Simple fix was to drill a hole, weld in a nut with a set bolt. (pic is after i put it back together)
DSCN2571.jpg

Now back to the roller: In order to make my notcher i took the long bolt, choped the head off and threaded it

DSCN2559.jpg

DSCN2560.jpg

screwed the holesaw on, slide it in the short roller and blam

DSCN2564.jpg

I needed a little more surface on the foot to mount my notcher so i cut the foot down a little and mounted a piece of 1/4" plate on top

DSCN2576.jpg

Then mounted the jack upside down back on the table
DSCN2577.jpg

now that i had an adustable height/rotating base I cut some some plates and welded the notcher on top.
DSCN2581.jpg

user_online.gif

Awesome! I didn't have an old roller fairlead or a jack, or a vice with a tube holder, so I just bought the JD Notch Master, I like it a lot!

Wow, thanks. What a great idea. A $50 dollar notcher that has the capability to do offset notching.

Is the whole setup fairly rigid? What bearings are inside the roller?

Awesome... x2! my favorite part is how it mounts to your work table..... i hate my jd2 tn100, should have gotten the beast or something similar.

Back