• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE - Super Ride or Super Flex

Dulltip

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 96 XJ because my family has out grown our 92 YJ. So I'm going to lift the stock 96 XJ Sport and wanting to try and match what I had with the 92 YJ in flex and clearence. Our 92 YJ had a RE 2.5" running 31x10.5s on Soft 8 black steels. I removed the rear track bar and never did connect up the front sway bar. It got me everywhere i wanted to go.

This is my hunting rig that I tend to drive to work more since I'd prefer to leave my GMC Duramax parked as much as possible. I guess what I'm saying is that sway control isn't an issue with me as my YJ was all over the place without any track bar or front sway connected. Knowing what thats like would running without sway control on the XJ be about the same feel?

So I'm debating now on which Rubicon Express lift will give me what I had in my YJ. The Super Flex or just going with the Super Ride and leave the sway bar disconnected? I don't rock crawl that much and really it's only on the occasion of trying to get back into a certain hunting area will is see that much flex. I guess I can always upgrade the kit with disconnects and flex joints in the front arms later on if I need to. The Super Ride is in my budget but Super Flex I'll need to save a bit more or opt to forgo rims/tires for a while. I know I will get their springs as I am very happy with the RE springs I had on my YJ.

So anyone have any input on trying to match a 92 YJ flex with a 96 XJ and sway issues?

Thank
DT

I have a '96 also, and opted for the Super-Flex kit. My sway bar is connected via quick disconnects, but I have driven it with one side disconnected when the bolt came out and I didn't realize it. I never noticed a difference in the handling, but leave it connected just to be on the safe side.

It looks like the difference between the Super-Ride and Super-Flex kits is around $215:

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rubicon-express-re6025-superride-free-3000s-p-4903.html

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rubicon-express-superflex-re6030-free-monotube-shocks-p-34.html

Whatever you do, get the full rear spring pack (not AAL). Get super ride and leave the sway bar disco'd for now. Find some used JKS end links or make your own. Also, get the rims with 4" backspace to restore full steering (and not rub the LCAs).

Another thing -- mine is the same year as yours, and I had to buy a SYE as well. The vibes were so terrible that it was completely undriveable. I thought the thing was going to grenade on me.

i put the 3.5 SF on my dads 98 (most likely the same output shaft as your 96s) and there are moderate vibes at heavy acceleration with a tcase drop. i have yet to do rear shims and im banking on them solving the vibes all together. each jeep is a little different, we couldnt justify the need for a sye for ours

I put a 3.5 SR on mine along with a budget boost (donut in front and long shackles in rear) I LOVE it! with a t-case drop I have no vibe and it is a better ride than factory!!! I do run stock wheels and even with spacers the front rubs the LCA's a bit at full lock but it is so little that with the new rounded LCA's I don't even notice...

I have the 3.5" SR kit, riding on 33's. Pretty good working setup. The way i figured, with my setup, my tires wouldn't be able to stuff more than the 3.5" SR can flex anyhow. If I want more flex, I'll need to go higher, and at that point I'll get Long Arms.

The Super Ride is a very capable lift kit, definitely no regrets on that one.

I'm going to see if I need an SYE before I break down and get one. After I lifted my YJ I had some vibs but after I put the T case pucks on to lower it the vibs were nearly gone. Once I put on new U joints all around I didn't have any vibs up to highway speeds.

I do plan to tow this jeep as I did my YJ so I need a smooth driveline and if I have to I'll do an SYE. Will have to see how the lift treats it and see. SYE isn't in the budget but tax man said I'm golden so I might be able to swing it by the main boss in the house.

Thanks for the info again.

DT

I had minor vibes and most of those were decel vibes. Added a 1" TC drop and that help tremendously. Added a 2.5 degree rear axle shim and that helped even more. Find a used RE 1600 adjustable track bar for additional articulation and add it during the lift so you don't have to reposition the lower track bar mount.

Back