• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Window Washer fluid wont spray

duke183

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I know, first thing you are thinking is that I didnt search. I did, I promise, but I did not find specifically what I was looking for.

Here is the scenario: About two months ago my rear windshield washer fluid stopped spraying all together, but the motor still works. I can hear it. So today, because I have a little time, I go outside and run it just while I am parked. Fluid comes out of my tailgate latch. So, it is still working. So, on my lunch break I decide to dismantle the inside of the tailgate to see where the leak is. All of the people outside of my office are giving me strange looks...blah, blah, blah. Apparently, they have never owned a cherokee before. Anyway, I see that the elbow that connects to the output has broken off where it locks into the tailgate and is just spraying down into the insides of the tailgate. I go to advance auto and they give me some random $2 elbow, but it doesnt snap in because (i think) there is still part of this elbow in the wall where it somehow snapped out of. Looking for ideas here on how I can make this plastic elbow work or the part (and maybe part number of that elbow.

Otherwise, everything else works fine....just want some washer fluid to my rear window before it snows tomorrow.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Chris

So, on my lunch break I decide to dismantle the inside of the tailgate to see where the leak is. All of the people outside of my office are giving me strange looks...blah, blah, blah. Apparently, they have never owned a cherokee before.
:roflmao:

No kidding. Should have seen the looks I got when I swapped my new rims and tires on and measured my driveline angles in the parking lot at work.

What year are you looking for? I ordered one of these a while ago for mine, still haven't installed it since mine broke on the outside and I like using it to squirt tailgaters. The part number is different on different years.

I believe the part you want is 5515 4942AB. mopardiscountparts.com has them for $7, dealership will probably charge you 10 to 12 and will have it to you within a day or two.

oh! For some reason I thought the wrong part broke. Not sure what part you should get, I'll have to tear into a 97+ in person again. Most of my experience is on 96-down models.

If the elbow broke and left a part in the hose, i would get a barrel splice (like elbow, only straight) and cut a part of the hose off. put in splice, add an additional length of hose, then add the elbow to go to remainder.

basically, cut the piece out with the broke plastic in it

Back