• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear and pulley pullers

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
What are people using for a good quality gear or pulley pullers?

I have a set of little Mastercraft (Canadian Tire tool line/brand) pullers that I've been using for a decade or so. Every time I use them I curse them, and deform and/or break another little part of them. The little holes in the arms are a really neat egg shape now.

I also have another set I "inherited" that are about as old as dirt. Every time I need to break that set out I end up "modifying" something with the hand grinder or hack saw. Starting to be less and less parts to that set...

Anyway, brands and/or things to look for? I want someting that can deal with the small lip on a power steering pulley currently (err, could have used -extreme prejudice has been used to get the b!tch on the road for tomorrow's commute).

I guess something with a thin hook on one end and a mechanism that pulls straight in the line of action. A kit that has different shaped hooks for dealing with wide and narrow pulleys would be nice too.

TIA

Check around. The Saginaw pully puller is a "special" item - and uses more of a two-part "collar" than a set of jaws.

I've got one - got it in a parts house for about $20 down here. You should be able to find something similar up there - I think it's useful for Chevvy, Jeep, and some MOPAR goodies.

I have never had good luck using a "3-jaw" puller on a Saginaw PS pump..

5-90

Excellent invention, that puller for the power steering pump pulley. I borrowed one from the parts store and took it back when I was done.

Back