• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB questions

bigoltrux77

NAXJA Forum User
Im interested in putting a Cb system in my XJ and i have a few questions. I had a 77 K5 that had dual 5' Fiberglass antennas with springs mounted to the mirrors (only one was hooked up bc of better quality, but it looked badass!) and a Uniden Bearcat from walmart- 80 bucks. I liked that setup and it worked very well for me. Im interested in your opinions on CB radios. I want one that is like the Cobra/Uniden ones that are cobra, with weatherband. Any other brands i dont know about? Also, how would i go about mounting dual 3' or 4' Black antennas on the mirrors of my 85 XJ? There are many different antenna mounts at www.valcoelectronics.com but im not sure which would work for me. Im not into the single rear mounted antenna on the bumper. I want a dual setup look. Can anyone help me? Thanks alot guys.

to tell you the truth, I am almost positive that an XJ is not wide enough to benefit from a dual antenna set up.. I believe the antennas have to be " x" amount of space apart and it just ain't happenin on an XJ.. you could always mount a magnet antenna on the roof....

btw i use a cobra 75 CB and it works awesome for what i use it for..
i also use a 5 ft firestik antenna that has taken quite a bit of abuse and help up.

yes i know that the dual set up wont work. Thats why on my blazer i only had one hooked up, i just love the look of the dual set up and springs for the branches. Anybody know what kind of mount i can buy that will allow this with my mirrors? Thanks

if you have the old swing out mirrors you can use a bracket at radio shack. I just that on the drivers side of my old Bronco II. If you have the regular fixed mounted mirrors I would think your out of luck. You could use the front bumper, the roof. Just an idea. Juice

yeah i got the fixed mirrors....DAMN...I guess ill have to resort to the bumper. I dont like the roof mount. hmmmm alrighty, Thanks for the responses.

wilson makes kick butt antennas. the 1000 is one of the best out there. i use cobra radios, right now a cobra 29NWST. that setup kicks arse.

check www.cbradiousa.com for good deals and lots of FAQ info on CBs and related items..

id say to go for a hard mount on the roof- itll give you the best reception/transmission quality.

You can make them work with the fixed mount mirrors but they will not hold up very well off road, after a short beating I would bet they would come off or damage the mirror. In order to mount them you drill a hole in the bottom of the mirror bracket and use a piece of flat bar to bring the antenna out in front of the mirror however far you want it out. Attach the antenna with what ever mount you want there.

If this does not hold up well for you then you could either attach to the side of the truck close to the mirror (maybe front fender) or to the very back of the engine compartment just inside the hood with a standard hood bracket.

There are much better ways of mounting for performance but if this is the look you are going for, these are my best thoughts.

Michael

Just an idea, but I've seen XJ's with driving lights mounted like wranglers beside the windshield. I don't know if these are readily available or if you could make it work or not. Just some thoughts that rattled around in my head and fell on the keyboard.
Tylor

Roof Antennas

Has anyone tried one from Antenex? I've heard that they're good antennas. What I want to do is mount on in the center of the roof in order to maximize the ground plane. Any suggestions?

Robert

You could use one of the mounts that is like a ball mounted to the side panel of the Jeep. Mine is a cHrome ball with antenna mounted on the rivers side rear quarter panel above the fuel filler door, i think it looks pretty sweet, i paid about 10 bucks for mine at the 'Shack, but it was already opened. Yuo do have to drill 1 big center hole and 3 smaller mounting holes, but that snot really abig deal, not like holes in body panels have never been undone before-Aaron

Antenna mounted on drivers side... I love it.... plus it's held down into a clip that hooks into the rain gutter.... i put it so while i'm driving... i can unhook it if need be so the antenna will hold all the way up.....

jeepside2.jpg

can i use a fiberglass antenna with that side mount in the pic?

Yes,they all have the same thread!

Here's a good article anyone should read on CB antennas:
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/ant-info.htm

As far as brands go,Uniden is one of the best on the market. I use one in my rig and love it! I also use a 4' Firestik antenna mounted on the driver's rear quarter with a spring and side mount from Radio Shack. Good setup!

Edit:My mount setup is the same as in the pic above,I just mounted mine higher on the quarter (right where it says "4X4") to get the antenna as high as I could above the roofline:D

After bending up my rear quarter panel on left turn hill in LCIR I rethaught my idea of installing my antenna there. I have been thinking of replacing my rear side windows with some aluminium plate then installing the whip there...
I have knocked off my magnet mounted antenna more than once..and still have not replaced it. Heck..it works and I have other priorities right now... :D

I mounted mine right smack in the middle of the roof. It hits a few trees, but the spring is light enough to lay the antenna completely flat without complaining. I hit my rear quarters a LOT, so I'm glad I didn't use that mounting location. YMMV

done07.jpg

You can't mount a CB antenna to the stock XJ mirrors because you won't have a decent ground. However, Radio Shack (and probably the CB shack at any nearby truck stop) sells a stainless stell 'Z' bracket that bolts to the inner fender, extends up through the joint between the fender and hood, then turns out horizontal with a hole to mount the antenna. You could run a pair of those.

Back