• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" lift kit

txjeep103

NAXJA Forum User
ive been looking for quite some time now, and still have not come up with a conclusion on which lift kit i need. from what ive heard, rusty's and rough country arnt worth the metal theyre made of, and RE doesnt quite fit in my budget. any other kits worth mentioning? i would like 4 inches at least.
thanks guys,
txjeep
ps. anyone live in houston? ill need some help when i finally make up my mind.:looney:

If your factoring cost and everything, just be aware, you will probably need a Slip Yoke and new drive shaft. Not all people experience vibe, but after 3.5 of lift, its recomended that you do the SYE. If you experience vibes, then to save money you can do an RE hack and tap kit, and then get a front drive shaft that already has a CV joint, and that should cost you around $150.

rustys had a decent spring mfg from what i gather (same as the other big suspension makers) but falls short in the other stuff, like RE 4.5 will have brake lines, not brackets, you get both upper and lower ca's (rustys only comes with lowers), discos (instead of longer links). by and large the RE kits are more complete, and what you dont spend now you will eventually. thats not to say you cant put together what is needed now then add more later, i just think it probably would be easier to save up and do it the more painful way ($$$$)

if you do go with the 4.5 re kit i would go with the 5.5 front coils and 3.5 rear with 1.5 shackles because the 4.5 kit will be alot higher in the back than it is in the front.

although some ppl like the rear jacked up higher i would rather it sit level

I got 4.5" done for cheap... just look around at your local scrap yard. I bought 3" lift springs used off some local forums for $50, some 1.5" spacers for $10, found some Skyjacker 3" rear spring packs and LCA's at the scrap dealer for $50, YJ brake lines, and some hockey puck bumpstops. I have no driveline vibes, but then again I'm running a '93 so it's a bit less prone to the shakes then the newer models. I got 33x12.5 BFG M/T's for $200 for 4, some Rockcrawler 15x8's for another $200 and I will be getting a SYE and regearing within the next month or so and it will all end up being less then I would have spent on just a RE kit...

It's all about spending a little time hunting down deals and buying the pieces one at a time as they come up.

I suggest saving your pennies and get a RE with the full pack.. It's great and I never regretted it. I have the Super-Flex and the articulation amazes me.. It's cool when one the trail and see people point and comment on the flex. I always think that I broke something when I see someong point to the bottom of my rig..

Elias

speaking of the RE 4.5 superflex, where could u get a good price on a kit? northridge4x4 has it for $914.80 shipped. Is that a good deal? check it out. it gets discounted once you add it to shopping cart and check out. Doesn't 4wheel parts have a program where they're suppose to beat anybodys price?

ert01 said:
I bought 3" lift springs used off some local forums for $50

What brand of springs did you get? Where they specifically for the XJ?

I ask because I wonder if you can use TJ springs on an XJ...does anyone know?

Also, those of you who have done the homebrew lift like ert01, did you replace your control arms and track bar too?

rooster87 said:
speaking of the RE 4.5 superflex, where could u get a good price on a kit?
Jason @ jeepin.com - great price on my RE junk, and excellent followup when I had a non-related issue later on. Be aware that all of the RE kits can be mixed and matched so you get what you want on there. i.e. ditch the RE disconnects and get JKS Quicker Disconnects. Ditch the RE1600 Trackbar and use the RE1660/1665 and 1670 trackbar, etc..

xtreme88xj said:
hey i was thinkin about ordering this for my 88.... http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...1&Vid=95C88438

what t case do i have?
That's the RE6130; I love mine but as I mentioned above I have some additional parts too - http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html

What t-case do you have? Either the NP231 or an NP242...what shift options do you have?

yea you should deffinately save until you can get RE stuff. Thier kits are so much more complete than anyone elses. Also dont take RE stuff at what everyone has it priced. Shop arround and ask ?'s never know b/c it cant hurt; Jason at jeepinoutfitters.com cut me a hella deal on my 4.5" kit.

i am buying the 4.5 RE kit you should do the same i did so much research and everyone tells me they are the best so save the money and order it man.... and with the vibrations a lill but not a lot so be ready to spend some more money after putting the lift on

rooster87 said:
speaking of the RE 4.5 superflex, where could u get a good price on a kit? northridge4x4 has it for $914.80 shipped. Is that a good deal? check it out. it gets discounted once you add it to shopping cart and check out. Doesn't 4wheel parts have a program where they're suppose to beat anybodys price?

You might check out the following link. They have the RE6130 with OME shocks for $1046.95:

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rubicon-express-superflex-re6130-free-shocks-p-36.html?osCsid=fa6e918d85cb5da5bd14dacfc806edad

For some reason, sometimes when you click the link, it says "product not found". Just close the page and click the link again if that happens and it will come up.

I ran the RE 6130 and enjoyed it very much. I am in the middle of putting on a TnT Upgrade kit with Rustys 6.5 inch leafs and 8 inch coils. I think I may have went a little to big......

I had 33's with the 6130 and things worked great, have fun and save your cash for the Rubicon Express stuff. I ran with a NP242 with an extended slip yoke. Very little drive line vibes....

Z

Back