• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 4H 4L questions...99 XJ 5spd

As suggested, figure eights in four low on pavement will show up any problems in short order. If you hear a bang, chances are you've exceeded the limits that the case was designed for. New Process had a chart detailing the specs each case was designed to; you may want to look that up and compare your results to what they recommend. This would probably involve attaching some sort of apparatus to measure the strain being placed on the case itself; I'm sure that as the manufacturer of the case, they can provide greater detail regarding the stress-testing procedures and necessary equipment.

However, if you do not wish to pursure this course of action (which is again entirely understandable and fully within your rights), you may perhaps listen to it for noises that I can only describe as 'odd'. You will have to determine which sounds fall into the category of 'odd', but rattles, groans, moans, grunts, squeaks, and a low growling sound or sort of a 'FWEEEEEEEEP' noise would be possible indicators of problems.

Removing the drain plug and checking the quality of the ATF that will come out (being sure to use an EPA-approved catch pan for any fluids, and to take them to a approved recycling centre for later reprocessing into Kraft Singles) can also be an indicator of case health. You want fluid that is pink - not pink like a carnation necessarily, but more like the later roses of Summer. If it is dark (like the ordure from which said roses are grown), this may be indicative of problems. I do not wish to detail the problems, because they make me sad and I want to keep thinking of Summer, which makes me happy.

I will leave it up to you as to whether or not you wish to replace the drain plug and fluid. What goes on between consenting adults and transfer cases in private is not something I feel I should be concerned about or involved with.

For the adventurous (and there's no time like the present to learn about these things, right?), remove the transfer case entirely. PRO-TIP: this is easier with the driveshafts removed in advance, believe you me. That was the worst Easter ever. Well, worst Easter ever except for the time my AMC Eagle wagon lost a freeze plug 600 miles from home. That sucked. Did you know that Autozone closes early on Easter Sunday? They totally do, and it's really inconvenient if the freeze plug has gone out on your AMC Eagle Wagon. Trust me on this one.

But yeah, the transfer case. Set it gently on a workbench or other convenient-yet-sturdy surface. Glance at it longingly, but not lasciviously. Gently and with finesse, separate its halves. Marvel at the things and whatnot inside, checking respectfully for signs of damage. Signs of damage may include stretched chains, damaged gears, hurty oil pumps, or other things. Again, I cannot name them all for I feel the touch of sadness upon my shoulder, and must avoid the melancholy that it brings. Ah, Summer.

Oh, yeah, you could also make sure it goes in and out of all the ranges properly, too. Move the lever firmly, yet gently. Treat it as you would a fine musical instrument in the hands of a virtuoso. Four-High, Neutral, Four-Low, and back to the fundamental simplicity of two-wheel drive. Be in control, but not controlling. Feel its response in your hand, and listen intently to its aural indications. Be manfully attentive, but not rough or dismissive. Treating range and mode selection may be a mystery for many at first, but with time and a responsive machine, you will develop a symptathy - no, an empathy - with it that can only be described as both rewarding and fulfilling, leaving you complete as understanding of its nuances grows.

You can go out for pancakes and coffee after this.

You're my hero! :yelclap::looney::eek:

I know what it looks like, is how can I check it for reliability before I buy?

Pull out the fill plug and stick your finger in it. The fluid should be bright red, like blood but not as thick...maybe more like pomerganian juice. Put the plug back in.

Next start the vehicle, set the park brake, put your left foot on the brake pedal, shift the trans lever to "N" for neutral, put the transfer case lever into four low, shift the transmission into 1st gear. Now with your right foot mash the throttle pedal as far to the floor as possible, if the transfer case makes a lot of noise the chain is bad. If the transfer case comes apart well it's bad.
If the seller thinks your a douche, toss him the keys walk away and say "No thanks!"

Can the 4H be used if there is A LOT of snow on the ground? Such as the blizzard like conditions that the DC area was hit with this year?

No. The blizzard conditions that DC got hit with earlier this month would not have been a good time to be out driving. Stay home, snow was too deep.

Pull out the fill plug and stick your finger in it. The fluid should be bright red, like blood but not as thick...maybe more like pomerganian juice. Put the plug back in.

Next start the vehicle, set the park brake, put your left foot on the brake pedal, shift the trans lever to "N" for neutral, put the transfer case lever into four low, shift the transmission into 1st gear. Now with your right foot mash the throttle pedal as far to the floor as possible, if the transfer case makes a lot of noise the chain is bad. If the transfer case comes apart well it's bad.
If the seller thinks your a douche, toss him the keys walk away and say "No thanks!"

While pushing the brake peddle, having the hand brake up, just floor it in 4L?....are you serious...the 4L and mashing the throttle down? I've never heard of this, Im fairly new to Jeep's so Im relying on your help please don't steer me the wrong way.

While pushing the brake peddle, having the hand brake up, just floor it in 4L?....are you serious...the 4L and mashing the throttle down? I've never heard of this, Im fairly new to Jeep's so Im relying on your help please don't steer me the wrong way.

Every buyer of a used jeep should do the transfer case test. I think I have a copy of it somewhere in the FSM.

You don't want to buy a jeep with a bad chain in the transfer case.

Yep. It's a stall test. IF there all sorts of rattling coming from the transfer case its a bad chain. If the engine starts making bad noises and loud clunking with rumbling felt through the floorboard it has bad engine mounts. Common on XJs with more than 90K miles and difficult to change becuase you need tpo remove the oil filter housing and that requires a special socket. the bolt is on real tight and snaps off easily. I am a professional mechanic and have screwed this repair up.

Back