• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior lighting issues

Mr Clean 1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few interior lighting issues that I'm hoping the forum can help me with on my '01 XJ. First: The auto-dimming feature is not working when I turn the ignition off. Where is this located and how do I repair it to work properly? Second: The 4-wheel drive light on the dash does not come on when I have it engaged in 4wd. What and where could the problem be, and how do I repair it? Third: The light under my gear selector (P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1) is out. Has anyone had to replace this bulb, and if so how do I do it?
Thanx in advance.

1) There is no auto dimming for the interior lights. There is an optional automatic headlight shutoff module that turns the head lights out 30 seconds after you shut off the engine.
2) Check the switch, wire plug, and wire harness on the transfer case. Put the instrument cluster into self test mode and check the bulb.
3) Like he said ^.

1) There is no auto dimming for the interior lights. There is an optional automatic headlight shutoff module that turns the head lights out 30 seconds after you shut off the engine.
2) Check the switch, wire plug, and wire harness on the transfer case. Put the instrument cluster into self test mode and check the bulb.
3) Like he said ^.

How do I put the instrument cluster into self test mode?

Mr. Clean i've been experiencing the same issue with the transfer case indicator light on my 01 limited xj. but haven't diag'd it yet. the transfer case enguages but no indicator light. Good luck. I guessing it's just the "switch" that kicks the light on, but not sure. it worked last year then quit.

Transfer case switch...about $30 if you get it at the dealer and very easy to replace. The T-case backlight is just a 194 bulb I think...pull up carefully on the bezel and it should pop off. The bulb is pressed into the back of the plastic bezel.

1) There is no auto dimming for the interior lights.

If you pop the door locks with the remote, the interior lights will come on for approximately 30 seconds, then shut off either when time is up or the engine is started; this is independent of the auto-off headlights, and both my '01 Sport and 2000 Limited had/have this feature. Not sure if he's referring to the headlights or the interior lights, though; I'm guessing headlights from his description but am not entirely clear on it. If it is the headlight timer, I'm no use there as it's not something I've ever had to fiddle with on mine.

WRT the transfer case indicator lights, it's possible that the switch is on the case is just slightly out of adjustment. You can try repositioning it and see if that fixes the problem.

The 4x4 bezel bulb is 194 sized, but is not a 194. It is a much dimmer bulb, the 194 will melt the housing. It was an oddball bulb that I couldn't source locally, so just ended up grabbing one at the junkyard.

JJacobs Well done! Good catch!
--------------------------------------

I think the bulb is #658 for console bulbs Xfer, & Trans.

Oddball and only place used AFAIK.

Mr. Clean i've been experiencing the same issue with the transfer case indicator light on my 01 limited xj. but haven't diag'd it yet. the transfer case enguages but no indicator light. Good luck. I guessing it's just the "switch" that kicks the light on, but not sure. it worked last year then quit.

Ditto, mine idiot light worked for bout 3 mths (last yr) now nothing, but 4wd works great especially witrh the 7 feet of snow we 've had here in Baltimore this year!

If you pop the door locks with the remote, the interior lights will come on for approximately 30 seconds, then shut off either when time is up or the engine is started; this is independent of the auto-off headlights, and both my '01 Sport and 2000 Limited had/have this feature. Not sure if he's referring to the headlights or the interior lights, though; I'm guessing headlights from his description but am not entirely clear on it. If it is the headlight timer, I'm no use there as it's not something I've ever had to fiddle with on mine.

WRT the transfer case indicator lights, it's possible that the switch is on the case is just slightly out of adjustment. You can try repositioning it and see if that fixes the problem.

Yes, that is the auto-dimming feature I was referring to, the interior light. It worked last year; when I turned my Jeep off the interior light would come on and stay on foe 30 sec as the headlights do. My headlights dim fine it's the interior lights that stopped dimming. My XJ is a limited so I know it has this feature. How/where do I look to fix it? Ignition switch possibly?

Thanx, I'll check the transfer switch

Yes, that is the auto-dimming feature I was referring to, the interior light. It worked last year; when I turned my Jeep off the interior light would come on and stay on foe 30 sec as the headlights do. My headlights dim fine it's the interior lights that stopped dimming. My XJ is a limited so I know it has this feature. How/where do I look to fix it? Ignition switch possibly?

Well, I'm digging through the FSM and about the most concrete answer (from Section 8P, pp.1-2) as to where it resides seems to be the following: "The RKE system includes an illuminated entry feature, which turns on the courtesy lamps for a timed interval (about thirty seconds), when the power locks are unlocked using the RKE transmitter." A little further down, on p.3: "The RKE receiver also performs as a smart relay for the illuminated entry feature."

OK, so it's in the keyless entry receiver. Now for the bad news, slightly further down on p.3: "The RKE receiver cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced."

Try this: rotate your headlamp switch all the way anti-clockwise; you'll feel a click and the interior lights should come on. The instruments should also brighten as you do this, assuming the headlamps are on. Rotate it back clockwise just past the click, and try the keyless entry again. I'm not sure that it'll have any effect, but it's an easy thing to give a shot and I'd be interested to know what the results are.

Last edited:
I believe it's a simple plug and play or some splicing, there is a module under the dash or something? Would have to investigate further. My MJ has it from the factory, I actually almost find it annoying because it leaves me wondering if I actually remembered to turn the headlights off.

Back