• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar end links rub coils

tgoff

NAXJA Forum User
After I put on the RE 3.5" coils the stock links rub slightly against the coils. Will longer JKS disconnects solve my problem. I know my angle is bad as the sway bar is pretty much horizontal but will correcting the angle fix the problem. What else could cause the problem? Thanks.

86 Cherokee 2.5L. RE 3.5" coils. S10 Bastard Pack. RE Trac Bar. 31x10.5 BFG AT

I'm picturing it in my mind...hold on let me grab a hammer to jar my memory....:twak: Ok yeah I'm guessing you've still got the stockers, so the angle is all tweaked downward. Longer ones are the ticket.

AJsArmor said:
I'm picturing it in my mind...hold on let me grab a hammer to jar my memory....:twak: Ok yeah I'm guessing you've still got the stockers, so the angle is all tweaked downward. Longer ones are the ticket.

It would be good to fix it before you do what I did on the first wheeling trip after the lift.

swaybar_2.JPG

swaybar_bend.JPG

Get the JKS disco's. I've got them and love them. You can adjust them so they don't hit on the street and dirt roads. For hitting the big trail just disconnect them and the problem is gone. Not to mention your front end will articulate like a mofo.

I have this problem with 5.5 inch lift. RE upper and lower CA's (not adjustable) and the Drop brackets. I have quick discos too. To solve the problem I made a couple little brackets that move the sway bar mounts forward about an inch. NO more problems.

My old Tomkin lift came with 3in drop brackets for the sway bar, that also moved it forward 2 or 3 inches. The brackets are easy to make out of 1/8-wall, 2X3 tubing. Her's my driver side bracket. It's been modded to fit my current set-up (WJ steering box), but you get the idea.

Are drop brackets the way to go or is correcting the angle with longer links the way to go? Aside from upgrading to disconnects what works the best and what are the advantages of both options.

My experience is when you lift an XJ, and add longer control arms, the axle moves forward, getting closer to the sway bar. Adding longer links won't correct this. Since the sway bar stays put, and the axle "drops", the distance between the sway bar ends and the axle mounts increases; longer links will correct this problem; however, drop brackets will fix both problems, and are a lot cheaper than after-market links. I really haven't analysed the problem beyond the above observation. My Tomkin 4-5 lift came with the drop brackets, so I installed them. When I increased my lift to a true 6inches, I had to move the drop brackets forward another inch to gain the necessary clearance between the sway bar and springs. BTW, the only thing I have remaining of the Tomkin lift are the sway bar drop brackets and the lower control arms, and these are heavily modded!

Back