• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 preload adjuster torque

bkhudgins

NAXJA Forum User
I am finishing up a gear install on my 8.25. does anyone know how much torque you need to put on the preload adjusters. It seems like it would not take much to adjust it. I have put about 70lbs on it and it does not change my backlash. It does turn and is threaded right. also the right side is totally loose. So I cant figure out what to do, I am afraid to put to much torque on it. One more thing how tight should the bearing caps be while I am adjusting the preload?
Thanks in advance.
Briain

No offence intended and I hope you get this all straightened out, but this is exactly why I refuse to do my own regear. :wierd:

That said, I'll check some manuals for you and see what I can come up with...

The highest trq I see is 75 ft/lbs, excessive adjuster tourqe will introduce a high bearing load which could cause premature bearing failure. Wish I knew/could find more.

Bearing caps should be tight/torqued down. Can you turn the adjusters by hand? If not, it's cross-threaded. If you have one adjuster pushed hard over, and the other one is loose, either the ring gear is hard against the pinion, or something isn't set right.

I am going to take the carrier back out and start over. I need to grind one of the teeth down so I can get the center pin out. I didnt notice that till now, Glad I didnt get it set up and then notice that. I will update once I get it set up.
Yeah this is my first gear install and my last.....

when i reset my carrier i found that the spec was 100 ft lbs...

The bearing preload adjusters should be torqued to 100 foot pounds with the bearing cap bolts good and snug (like about 20 foot pounds), after you have the backlash set torque the bearing caps to 85 foot pounds. Don't forget the loctite.

I am going to take the carrier back out and start over. I need to grind one of the teeth down so I can get the center pin out. I didnt notice that till now, Glad I didnt get it set up and then notice that. I will update once I get it set up.
Yeah this is my first gear install and my last.....

When I install the ring gear,I prefer to index it so the crosshaft pin falls "between" 2 teeth.I means less material(teeth) removed(per tooth).

Back