• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing Ignition coil

bigalpha

How do you test the ignition coil (88 MJ)? I am getting yellow-orange spark to the plugs and want to see if the ignition coil is fubar.

I found the following page but am not sure if it's applicable to the ignition module in the XJ. More specifically, these two pictures:

coil%20test%20primary%20windings.jpg

coil%20test%20sec%20windings.jpg

http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk/300Repairs/300renix.htm

Lets play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine, etc., that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle.

88 MJ with 6cyl.

edit: is the ignition system on the 2.5L the same as the 4.0L?

Last edited:
Joe Peters, C.E.

has a nice ring to it!

:D

Those that really get to know me just call me A**hole, but they smile when they say it! :D

OP-
Ohm it with a meter. BUT that does not always show breakdowns at high voltage. Best bet is to swap in another one and retest. A salvage yard probably a good source.
Assuming it's is getting good volts and ground inputs.

Regards,
Orange

Page down to bottom of this thread page for several threads about ign. coil testing. Those threads will have more threads at bottom usually.

For an 88, if memory serves me correctly, you also have an ignition control module that is involved along with the coil itself. They are connected together but can be serviced separately.

OP-
Ohm it with a meter. BUT that does not always show breakdowns at high voltage. Best bet is to swap in another one and retest. A salvage yard probably a good source.
Assuming it's is getting good volts and ground inputs.

Regards,
Orange

Well, the current I.C. ohmed at .8/.7 for the primary coil so it's almost bad.

For an 88, if memory serves me correctly, you also have an ignition control module that is involved along with the coil itself. They are connected together but can be serviced separately.

Yes, this is true. Part of the troubleshooting is testing the connectors.

Back