• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Top hat racks

UrbanFlatline

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search for this and couldnt find anything. But I am new and suck at this...

Does anyone have a close up and good description of the Top hat Roof rack... I love the look and would like to fabricate something similair since it is way out of my price range...

Olympic makes them, from what I've heard the fit and alignment is NOT the best, especially for the price.

906154rgbnoeye.jpg

There's a few peeps in town using just the lower mounts/rain gutter slider portion. I never really saw a need for it, but of course after talking about it I dented my roof and smashed the passenger side drip-rail and roof bar on a fallen tree. Sigh.

The last one I ordered from them was off by SEVERAL degrees...and they did the absolute least to take care of me and my customer. It resulted in me refunding customer and sending the rack back. I was NOT impressed and will not go out of my way to sell their products anymore.

I got one second hand for a great price. Thats the only way I even considered it again. Its rather expensive for what you get new. I ended up getting it on the jeep with 2 ratchet straps mounted to my power pole, pulling it into the shape of the XJ. Its not the best fit in the world but it works. Its nice having a flat surface that covers the entire roof though.

This is the best pic that I have of it...

Wow, Great information...

I was thinkin about just building one myself really. Do they tie into the rain gutters or does someone have a picture of the mounting? iT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

Im gonna try and finish putting on my 6" bulge fenders today :)

I beat the hell outa mine with little problems. As said use ratchet strap and no issue. They do say that in the directions ans say its off by just a little. Out of the nine windows I've broke on my rig it was just a window and not the gutters, pinch seem, and pillers. A good bolt on upgrade.

i buillt mine myself. dident feel good about stock location or guttermounts. i re'drilled the roof and tied in flat stock, top and bottom, directly to the cross suports in the underside of the roof.

heres the link http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004539

Last edited:
Do they tie into the rain gutters or does someone have a picture of the mounting? iT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!......

Its looks to me like they are useing the stock roof rack mounts. I had my rack u-bolted to the 2 stock cross bars and it got ripped off once. I have since added 2 more cross bars and have never had another issue. The way theres looks, it seems to be all tied together so the load when leaning on a tree would be spread across multiple points... kind of like a bolt on rocker slider. looks like a decent bolt on option for the "non-fabricators"

just my .02

Its looks to me like they are useing the stock roof rack mounts. I had my rack u-bolted to the 2 stock cross bars and it got ripped off once. I have since added 2 more cross bars and have never had another issue. The way theres looks, it seems to be all tied together so the load when leaning on a tree would be spread across multiple points... kind of like a bolt on rocker slider. looks like a decent bolt on option for the "non-fabricators"

just my .02

Actually I'm pretty sure they mount to the gutters, the Olympic rack that is. The HD rack goes in the stock location, but I think they found a way to improve on the strength over the stock one.

If you're going to fabricate something, the biggest trouble you'll have is making a mount for the rack to the gutters. There's not much help we can provide on that front as IMO, fabricating those mounts your self exactly as they do it would likely be expensive/time consuming. You'd probably be better off figuring out your own mount system.

~Scott

I was refering to the HD rack ( the pictures in the link posted)

Should have said so. :greensmok But I kinda figured, just trying to clarify.
I THINK the OP's questions have all been about the Olympic rack, as he never quoted/mentioned otherwise...and he had a very sarcastic tone in his second post(or that's how I read it anyways).

~Scott

Actually I'm pretty sure they mount to the gutters, the Olympic rack that is. The HD rack goes in the stock location, but I think they found a way to improve on the strength over the stock one.

If you're going to fabricate something, the biggest trouble you'll have is making a mount for the rack to the gutters. There's not much help we can provide on that front as IMO, fabricating those mounts your self exactly as they do it would likely be expensive/time consuming. You'd probably be better off figuring out your own mount system.

~Scott

Yeah, the Olympic rack is a gutter mount system. Mounts in 3 places on each side. Each mount is about 4" long and has 2 bolts to clamp it down. Once its on its not going anywhere! Its on there goooood. I can get pics tomorrow if you want.

they aren't on there that good. Mine has been pulled off several times. And if its used hard it will bend and pull the roof till there is holes. Ask me how I know. :roll:

they aren't on there that good. Mine has been pulled off several times. And if its used hard it will bend and pull the roof till there is holes. Ask me how I know. :roll:

I will agree with this statement. I don't believe I know a single person with this rack that it has not "moved" during trail rides. It does do a great job of protecting the Jeep gutters as a reasonably priced, bolt on piece.

There are a lot of different way's to build your own gutter mount system. My recommendation is you look at a few "utility van's" with ladder racks on them, this style of gutter mount is strong and would be inexpensive and relatively easy to fabricate in your garage.

Michael

I don't drag mine on trees very often, but every time I do I appreciate having spent the better part of an afternoon making it line up properly.

Obviously a welded hybrid cage with the drip rail protection is ideal...

Awesome guys... That really helps alot. Ill have to look at some different option to mount something up..

And in my second post i wasnt being sarcastic, I really do appreciate the help. You guys are much more helpful then anyone i have ran into on Pirate...

Back