• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need new ideas for my xj! What have you installed?

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, i'm running out ideas of new things to install in my jeep. I like gadgets, performance, looks, etc. So post up what you've done to your xj that is unique to you. I especially want to see some custom work that's been done inside your rig. Also, feel free to post pix or links to pix so we can all see the mods! alright well I'll start...

99 xj 4.0 AX-15 150,000 on the clock... Purchased bone stock Feb. 28 2009 and is my 7th xj.

Performance: K&N CAI, E3 spark plugs, Flowmaster super 44, 4.10 gears, 31" dunlop mud rovers

Suspension: 4.5" RC coils and springs, 2" Teraflex spacers, 1" jks boomerang shackles. CA drop brackets, Bilstein 7100 12" shocks

Armor: JCR rear upper quarter panel guard with integrated tail light housings. Nates 4x4 slimline winch bumper, Rear bumper with 2" reciever (forgot the brand)

Lighting: 6000k HID's, 2 police spot lights (on driver and passenger side), 2 KC 6" 100w lights on my light rack. (which is a carr light bar) LED stop, tail, turn and back up lights. all interior is super white LED's including gauge cluster.

Cosmetics: Jeep 2500 front end, Lund visor with marker lights, Buschwackers.

MISC. Accessories:
Grant Steering wheel, Smittybillt xrc8 winch, stereo 7" monitor with dvd player, gps, bluetooth and PS3 hooked up to it. OBD2 scan tool hooked up to the monitor to give real time data. police sirens with PA system (I sometimes use it as a patrol vehicle when i'm off duty), Police scanner, wig wag flasher for headlights, ipod hookups, 2 12" subs, capacitor, 1200w amp, tweeters, the works. Overhead console modified to fit my CB. Semi truck horn installed. Push button start installed, neon lights in rear compartment wired to flash along with the bass. And more that i cant think of right now.

Soon to come: Aussie locker, in cab winch control, sliders, gas tank skid, suspension seats, detours tail bone, 33" tires, steel braided brake lines and more that i cant think of right now.

So post up what you guys have done! I want more ideas for cool accessories and gadgets. What else can be done to the interior and exterior of an xj!

-Nick

[cough, cough]modding just to mod[cough, cough]

lol.

save your money and go on a trip?

seriously, buy your girl something nice, hell, buy yourself something nice.

not to sound like an ass, but quit dumping money in that thing. sounds like you have all the bases covered and THEN some.

my dad had a 98 XJ a few years back, some broad ran a stop sign, hit him right on the driver's side rear wheel, knocked the whole rear end out. car was totaled. hopefully you never get in a wreck, but if you do, esp. if its more than a fender bender, the car won't be worth the cost to fix it.

just an opinion; you do have a sweet ride it sounds like though. I'm jealous.

Well, I cobbled together a lift and bought decent tires and then wheeled. Then I bought a transfer case skid plate and wheeled some more. Then I re-geared for the larger tires and wheeled some more. Then I put in an Aussie Locker and a Posi-Lok on the D30 CAD and wheeled some more. Then I put a K&N cone filter and Rusty's intake tube and wheeled some more. Then I got a Ramsey winch and wheeled some more.

[cough, cough]modding just to mod[cough, cough]

lol.

save your money and go on a trip?
Going on 2 cruises, one in april one in october, and riding my motorcycle cross country with my gf so i got that covered.
seriously, buy your girl something nice, hell, buy yourself something nice.
I already got her 3crt diamond earings for her bday this april. As for as me, buying things for my jeep is my version of "buy yourself something nice"

my dad had a 98 XJ a few years back, some broad ran a stop sign, hit him right on the driver's side rear wheel, knocked the whole rear end out. car was totaled. hopefully you never get in a wreck, but if you do, esp. if its more than a fender bender, the car won't be worth the cost to fix it.

just an opinion; you do have a sweet ride it sounds like though. I'm jealous.
well hopefully that armor and bumper will absorb a lot of the energy during a crash. And if it becomes totaled, i kept all the receipts for pretty much everything ive paid for on the jeep so i would get a pretty good amount back from insurance, buy the jeep back and swap all the parts into a new xj. I plan on basically having this jeep forever and passing it onto my future son!

hood vents? do you have the ambulance strobe light to work with your police equip? rear coil conversion? you already have a lot done!
im thinking about getting one of those cowl hoods, but yes hood vents are also a good idea! as far as the wig wag headlight flasher, that works on a switch i have installed next to my headlight button. rear coil conversion is a good idea though!
AND?

your from pismo, you definately need more suspension. long arms + hydraulic bumpstops, cage and good shocks.
i definitely agree all of those. The cage will be hard to accomplish since i have the handles from my spot lights sticking through the pillars. The LA's im waiting for a good deal on, Im getting king hydra bump stops, and i think ill stick with my 7100 shocks.

thanks for everyone's input/opinions so far!

We're just jealous of your ride.

oh trust me, ive been there. my first 3 xj were all bone stock and i had no money or time to do anything with it :( I just keep reading everyone's mods to their jeeps and wished that one day i could do it! and now things are different! :)

You may not be as much if you have seen this thing sitting in the driveway with more and more added parts. And the *****-rigged wire jobs.
I had to Nick.

Ed. - Complaints received. PM sent. JDK

Last edited by a moderator:
You may not be as much if you have seen this thing sitting in the driveway with more and more added parts. And the *****-rigged wire jobs.
I had to Nick.
:huh:.
excuse me? im not sure which "wire jobs" your talking about but please don't refer to them with a racist comment like that. Also, please don't respond to this thread with that negativity either. If you have done something to your rig that is different then share, but as far as degrading fellow members on the hard work they have put into their heep, that's just not ok with me.
I had to jeremy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put in some Champion or NGK truck plugs instead of the ritzy glitzy performance ricer ones, there really isn't much of a difference and I've never heard of anyone gaining performance from them, though I have heard of people losing performance and getting a crappy idle that cleared up when they went back to NGKs/Champions.

Other than that - remote start? hit up the JY and grab yourself some factory tint?

I'd put in some Champion or NGK truck plugs instead of the ritzy glitzy performance ricer ones, there really isn't much of a difference and I've never heard of anyone gaining performance from them, though I have heard of people losing performance and getting a crappy idle that cleared up when they went back to NGKs/Champions.

Other than that - remote start? hit up the JY and grab yourself some factory tint?

I've had the champs and NGKs on old jeeps, they are nice plugs but this time i wanted to try those e3 plugs. I did notice a slight gain in gas mileage when i put them in. (im assuming that's cause of the improving spark style needed for better combustion)

I bought a remote start/keyless entry/alarm system a few months ago but wasnt able to finish it do to poor instructions. I'm going to take it to an audio shop and have them install it. I do have tinted windows already, limo in the rear and medium in the fronts. :)

MISC. Accessories: Grant Steering wheel, Smittybillt xrc8 winch, stereo 7" monitor with dvd player, gps, bluetooth and PS3 hooked up to it. OBD2 scan tool hooked up to the monitor to give real time data. police sirens with PA system (I sometimes use it as a patrol vehicle when i'm off duty), Police scanner, wig wag flasher for headlights, ipod hookups, 2 12" subs, capacitor, 1200w amp, tweeters, the works. Overhead console modified to fit my CB. Semi truck horn installed. Push button start installed, neon lights in rear compartment wired to flash along with the bass. And more that i cant think of right now.

Extended Idle switch and 4-switch bezel from the police-package XJs. Useful out in the desert when parked (particularly in the summer), or if running a lot of high-electrical-demand items.

You mentioned using this as an off-duty patrol vehicle... What are you off-duty from?

Some things I have done when searching for mods to do...
-CB Radio, Antenna, PA Horn
-Rip out all carpet interior and truck bed line with Herculine - best mod ever!
-Internal rear roll bar, 86 Toyota 4-Runner makes a good donor with little modification
-Roofmount overhead light bar

Going on 2 cruises, one in april one in october, and riding my motorcycle cross country with my gf so i got that covered.

If you need to spend money, take me on one of those cruises! I'm free in April!

I already got her 3crt diamond earings for her bday this april. As for as me, buying things for my jeep is my version of "buy yourself something nice"

I understand, If I had extra money, my XJ would look similar to yours, or at least better than it is.

well hopefully that armor and bumper will absorb a lot of the energy during a crash. And if it becomes totaled, i kept all the receipts for pretty much everything ive paid for on the jeep so i would get a pretty good amount back from insurance, buy the jeep back and swap all the parts into a new xj. I plan on basically having this jeep forever and passing it onto my future son!

See, that's the scary part. The girl hit him right on his rear tire, there was practically NO body damage at all. So that armor, could help, unless it's a freak accident like my dad's. BUT, like you said, I took all the good stuff off of his XJ to put on mine (even some nicer OEM stuff when the man wasn't looking). I plan to never sell my XJ either, and while I don't have a son, it'll be buried with me. That's how much I love my rig, so I can relate.

And ya, most of your mods, I'm jealous. Not all though, but most.

Extended Idle switch and 4-switch bezel from the police-package XJs. Useful out in the desert when parked (particularly in the summer), or if running a lot of high-electrical-demand items.

You mentioned using this as an off-duty patrol vehicle... What are you off-duty from?

thanks for the links! i will definitely be getting both of them! And i'm a park ranger for ODSVRA. I take my jeep out in the dunes when I'm not working to assist mainly on holidays since there are a lot of accidents. I was able to save a man who had flipped over in his rhino last summer. He was not wearing a seat belt and it had rolled on top of him. No one had reported it yet so i called it in and had the helo came pick him up. I always think about how the outcome for that man would have been if i hadn't been out there that day. So this jeep is not only my DD, but it's my life saver mobile.
-Rip out all carpet interior and truck bed line with Herculine - best mod ever!
-Internal rear roll bar, 86 Toyota 4-Runner makes a good donor with little modification

do you have pictures??? im interested!

thanks for the links! i will definitely be getting both of them!

Check out http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79549 - there's a couple of other threads that cover the install as well, but the main thing you need to know in advance is that you'll need the wiring pigtail from the back of a '97-up fog light switch in order to wire in the extended idle switch. Neither the bezel nor the switch come with that pigtail, so you'll want to put that on the junkyard list.

And i'm a park ranger for ODSVRA.

Ah, cool. I helped out one of your guys about 3.5 years ago with a stuck Silverado; we ended up having to do a double-pull on it to get it unstuck. Guy had managed to get it bogged down right up to the frame.

Back