• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 to NP242 on an AX-15 any info helps!

88XJowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ with an AX-15 and NP231, looking to do a NP242 swap. Am I going too need any funky spacers or adapter plates? Different length driveshafts? Shifter linkage? THANKS MUCH!

Well you probably expected this answer but for the full time option. And they're bigger... LOL doesn't bigger matter?! haha. I think I'm putting this off anyway I got an 89 NP242 and pulled it apart everything seemed okay but when bench tested will not engage any gear but full time high. And when in 4 low I'll hand turn the input and it clunks an grinds like it wants to engage but won't.

You pulled it apart and did not "rebuild" any of it?

Well you probably expected this answer but for the full time option. And they're bigger... LOL doesn't bigger matter?! haha. I think I'm putting this off anyway I got an 89 NP242 and pulled it apart everything seemed okay but when bench tested will not engage any gear but full time high. And when in 4 low I'll hand turn the input and it clunks an grinds like it wants to engage but won't.

It's bigger because room was needed for the center diff.

The 231 is a hair stronger, FYI.

And I ran the 242/AX combo .... it works, but I wouldn't call it an ideal setup. The center diff creates a little driveline slop with the solid connection of a manual trans (think loading/unloading of teeth when you shift).

Joe

Thanks guys you talked me out of it. LOL The 242 I got for $50 is shot anyway. And I did put new bearings and seals in it. I meant I bench tested it before I pulled it apart. I know I'd have to use the planetary input from the 231... I can sell this thing to some mook for $100. Hehe

Last edited:
a perfectly functioning 242 is not bad by any means, but some say its not a strong as the 231. FT4WD is nice to have sometimes tho.

Back