• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

white smoke and water coming out of exhaust

Blown head gasket, cracked head, cracked block (less likely), etc. Basically it looks like you are burning coolant, what does the coolant look like? I would do a compression test to start.

First thing to do is to monitor any coolant loss from your reservoir. White smoke often indicates burning of coolant which is really hard on your engine. Check the oil filler cap and the oil dipstick. Any "milkshake" gooey creamy substance on them?

Tests that can help you isolate include the following:

1. Cooling system pressure test
2. Block test (sniffing coolant for presence of hydrocarbons)
3. Compression test (low numbers on 2 adjacent cylinders can be a bad headgasket)
4. Cylinder leakdown test. Most comprehensive of all of the above.

Test your way to a solution.

How much water and smoke? Is it just when you start it or all the time? Is your coolant level good, does it 'loose' coolant? If it's significant then what Wagonman said. Also check your oil. If it's muddy looking, again what Wagonman said.

If it's just small drips and a little 'vapor' when you start it that goes away when warmed up nothing to worry about. Compressions test not a bad idea either way.

Good luck.

I havent had change to drive the jeep yet, I bought it got it towed to my house, I have replaced the starter alternator, spark plugs and leads..

ive only had it running for afew mins at a time..

just seems like its alot of water

i checked the oil before i bought it to see if the oil was milking and its not

Take a sample of the fuel, maybe there is water in it? Not a very likely possibility, but it's possible, especially if you have ethanol in the area.

Exhaust is wet all the time, normally.

When outside temps are cold it condenses in the cold exhaust piping, muffler, etc. - just like a glass of iced tea in damp weather. Takes at least 20-30 minutes to really warm up and cook the condensate out. Thats why some cars are smoking, dripping and some are not on cold mornings. Really cold they mostly all smoke.

Cold, short trips are really hard on the exhaust system AND the engine AND the oil. A good 30+ minute cruise at least weekly is very good practice.

At least 1 per month, Year Around, run the heater 5-10 minutes and same for air cond.

I dont know if I did this properly I was readying somewhere that a compression test will not be acurate unless the jeep is warm but I let the jeep run for two minutes, then pulled the plugs and put a compression gauge in each spark plug hole and turned the ingition over for 15-20secs for each cylinder, the readings were 155, 145, 145, 150, 145

not sure what that means or if I should do it again???

what exactly should I do?

Not sure just how you can catch the little rascal, but there should be a sixth cylinder lurking in there somewhere!

The notes I have are:
Fully charged battery
remove all sparkplugs
disconnect ignition coil
gauge on one cyl
wide open throttle
3 revolutions
record gauge reading
repeat on other cylinders

120 - 150 psi with max of 30 psi difference high/lowest

If that 6th is about the same you should be in great shape.
a little carbon or gauge error, etc., covers the 5 over.

Regards,
Orange

Compression appears to be good from the numbers I can remember.

Take the Jeep out and drive it for a while...20-30 minutes. Stop, get out and look at the exhaust. If you're still puffing out white smoke and or moisture look at your head gasket (but do a pressure test on the cooling system first).

Starting it and running it only for a couple of minutes at a time will not let the moisture that normally builds up in the exhaust be burned off, and the exhaust will puff out a little bit of white smoke unless the temperatures are warm (generally above 60).

Back