• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck caliper 2000 cherokee non ABS ?

kellen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with non-ABS seems to have a stuck front passenger caliper. Driving it was pulling to the right and then some smoke was coming up under the vehicle. Pulled over, thought it was oil. Let it sit, dove the 1/2 mile home and noticed it was the front passenger wheel area.

Took the wheel off (hot lug nuts!) and it looks like the caliper is stuck on the rotor.

I just had front brakes done about 2 months ago, could this be connected to a poor install? I just don't want to pay for someone elses mistake. Also anything else it could be?

Unfortunately I live in a condo development and I can't work on my vehicle, so I have to take it in, just would rather avoid this place if it was their ineptitude.

when you say "just had the brakes done," what did they replace?

a quality brake job includes caliper replacement (or rebuild at the minimum) and mounting hardware replacement with the new friction material.

I'd say if they did all that and the calpiper is sticking, either they boogered up the caliper, or the inner lining of the hose has separated from the outer shell and it's acting as a check valve and restricting fluid return to the master cylinder.

I'd have both the caliper and hose replaced (again if they did before) since smoking brakes indicates enough heat to have damaged both either way. New friction material and rotor should also be on the list if they weren't already.

Pads and rotors up front. Not sure about the calipers.

Now how do I get it there? Tow it, drive it or take off the caliper and hang it and drive? Its only 1 mile.

were it mine, I'd pull the caliper, force the piston back into the caliper, reinstall, and drive slowly (trying not to use the brakes)

Depending how bad it was, I may even squeeze the hose shot (after retracting the piston) with vice grips and make the trip slowly.

Being that you don't want to (can't) work on it, have it towed somewhere or find a mechanic who will come and work on it where it sits. Not a big deal. You need new calipers, rotors and pads for both sides on the front. And brake bleed after.

Problem is the condo association. No working on vehicles. I didn't know that and nearly got fined for changing out my CPS.

I just remembered I have AAA, so I will either drive it the mile to the mechanic or just have it towed.

Several months back I had one of the guide pins on which the caliper slides shear off. The agents reckon it was a freak occurrence as they had never seen it happen before. Made a nice mess of the pads and rotor!

Turned out just needing readjustment. So far so good.

I'm not sure how one "readjusts" a disc brake system...but, the front calipers on my '00 XJ occasionally stick. The slide points on the caliper and mounting bracket has worn a groove. The caliper often gets hung up in the groove. Unless either the caliper or bracket are replaced the hung caliper will continue. My "cheap fix" is to apply antiseize to the wear groove every few months. This seems to help until the antiseize washes off.

Fran

Someone posted a writeup on fixing those grooves, I can't remember who. It was in the last month. If you have a welder, just clean the grooves, fill them with weld, and grind it smooth/back to OEM level.

EDIT: Thanks a ton Shorty, you're 100% correct. Found it once I knew the username to search under... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1022873

Last edited:
Someone posted a writeup on fixing those grooves, I can't remember who. It was in the last month. If you have a welder, just clean the grooves, fill them with weld, and grind it smooth/back to OEM level.

'twas XJTRAILRIDER-- consisted of welding them up and filing 'em down. Works like a dream!!

I'm not sure how one "readjusts" a disc brake system...but, the front calipers on my '00 XJ occasionally stick.
Fran

Just forgot what the guy said. I had to use the bathroom so bad that I was in and out in a jiffy. Something about a clip on the front and doing something to it, as well as something else. Figured if they wanted to screw me they would have charged me for a new caliper and brake line. Between that and studying, I wouldn't care if the guy said it was pixie dust, more important things.

Back