• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower control arm bracket weld about to let go.

Jeepcrush4

NAXJA Forum User
I was in the process of doing an oil change when I came across a pretty bad stress crack. It seems that the factory weld on the bracket that's mounted on the front axle and holds the lower control arm is letting go. This is only on the left(driver side). I'm guessing MIG welder won't be enough? Since all shops are closed today, I plan on taking it to a chassis repair shop tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what's the worst case senerio if the brackets let's go while driving. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Lower control arm bracket flucked!

sudden loss of control and probably a hard left turn into oncoming traffic?

nothing to worry about, really-- unless you value your life or that of others....

The factory LCA brackets are known for doing this... don't do anything crazy with it broken, and I wouldn't go on the highway, but I drove 20 miles with my passenger side LCA bracket so badly rusted out and cracked that the total cross section remaining was approximately two pennies, edgewise. All I noted was some funky shifting while braking/turning and horrible grinding crunching noises.

I booger welded mine back together with a welder that isn't supposed to go past 1/8" plate - just threw some bits of 1.5"x1/8" angle stock and 2"x1/8" flat stock on and welded them down wherever it seemed easiest. It's been holding since September. It's really ugly, but it works till I get the new axle ready to bolt in.

EDIT: Shorty, I doubt it'll do that kind of a turn... maybe I'm just an idiot. The track bar should hold it in place, like I said, don't do any highway driving and be careful.

EDIT: Shorty, I doubt it'll do that kind of a turn... maybe I'm just an idiot. The track bar should hold it in place, like I said, don't do any highway driving and be careful.

I'd agree with that on the passenger side, but the drivers side will only have the upper arm holding it in place fore/aft and the potential for it to roll under on that mount is much greater on that side. I'm not telling anyone not to drive it somewhere to have it fixed, I'm just answering the original question:

Out of curiosity, what's the worst case senerio if the brackets let's go while driving.

common problem, and what shorty explained is usually what happens.

pray your not on a highway overpass or something.

your weld's cant be much worse than the factorys, mig should be fine if you get enough penetration, a 220v machine is allways preferable when welding to thick axle tubes.

Back