• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

45-50 bad wobble help

1990heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i just had this bad wobble start last week when i heard a odd pop as i was turning left on street. its got about a 5in lift on 33s so you have an idea of what im lookin at. tires are balanced and it doesnt pull any. i kinda checked my track bar and tie rods didnt seem to have any play but maybe im wrong. if you got any other suggestions let me know

check all your suspension joints, tie rod ends, ball joints, and unit bearings. any of those that have play where they shouldn't can cause wobble.

ok i just had this bad wobble start last week when i heard a odd pop as i was turning left on street. its got about a 5in lift on 33s so you have an idea of what im lookin at. tires are balanced and it doesnt pull any. i kinda checked my track bar and tie rods didnt seem to have any play but maybe im wrong. if you got any other suggestions let me know

What have you inspected already?

Or is this an online inspection? :)

what trackbar are you using?

on my 89 with 4.5" of lift, the adjustable TRE trackbar pops to let me know it needs to be lubed along with all the other TRE's. im in the market for a new HD double shear trackbar and mount.

as for a wobble that is speed related, its most likely a tire, balance, and/or alignment problem.

i had the same popping noise when turning. It was loose lugs

ya i checked out out my steering balljoints none seemed to have play my bushings all are in new condition. the trackbar i dont know the brand but its single shear and bushing i dont know really what to check on that. all the tires are balanced and i wasnt aired down or anything when it started so i didnt have a tire slip the bead. i just rotated fronts to back when i did my bastard pack last weekend to see if there was any difference, still has the wobble. my alignment is good to the feel it doenst pull any. truely i bought the truck with this front set up i dont like it im actually looking to get different lca/uca's its stock uppers and some sort of lowers 16 eye to eye theyre too short for the lift. just to be clear here this front end set up is still new to me i went from a built prerunner i beamed ranger to a basically f-toy 4runner suspension/drivetrain wise now this so i know cars very well i kinda havent had alot of time to check it thuroughly the last few days

Last edited:
but it was fine for a while then i heard the pop as i turned left from a side street to a diff street and it did it right then for first time as i went through 45-50

the pop could be a worn TRE or bad control arm bushing. as for the alignment, not pulling to one side is not an indication of toe in or toe out, you need to measure it.

the pop also could have been one of the adjusting sleeves on the tierod or draglink coming loose, which will effect toe. i would check the torque of the bolts on the adjusting sleeves.

5" of lift on stock uppers and too short of lowers is not a good set up, dangerous if you ask me.

I actually used to have that similar set up. 5"+ lift with 33" tires, stock uca's and too short lca's. What I did to completely fix my bad death wobble issue was bought a set of control arm drop brackets from Rough Country. Haven't had a problem since and my Jeep rides way smoother on any road surface at any speed. They also gave me a ton of flex capability too!

you said you checked the trackbar, but did you check the trackbar MOUNT? this would cause DW for sure and the poppping noise as well. i second all the other suggestions as well...

89XJ, let me know what specific track bar you are looking at buying. I am in the market too! Thanks!

im considering the RE HD TD with the flex joint and bracket or possibly the IRO HD TB and bracket.

i need to do a bit more research as to whether the tracbar needs the flex joint to allow the trackbar to rotate a bit when the suspension cycles or whether the solid bushings offers enough range of motion. from what ive read, everyone with the IRO trackbar is happy with it and the price is right, but i do like RE links and joints.

Back