• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wipers not working right???

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
ok so when i got my jeep only the high speed works for my wipers and the spray button for fluid works and all the wires were cut that go to the switch on the steering coloum, so i went and got a new one and ran a new wire and plugged the new one in and still only high and fluid works, what else could be the issue its on a 90 xj 4.0 aw4 any help would be awsome also it has the delay setting which dosnt work

Do you have the intermittent wiper function on the switch--the variable resistor?

If you have the intermittent function, then unplug the intermittent module and plug directly into the wiper motor. If you get high and low powered direct the intermittent module is the problem.

how do i plug in the end when it only goes in the one spot? theres the one wire with 4 little wires in it that go to the man arm for the blinkers and wipers also cruise control for me aswell and the end is a orange piece that plugs in under the dash and the old one was cut right at the arm on the colum so i replaced the hole arm and wire and nothing works expect for high could it have something to do with me getting rid of my cruise control?

Ok, you don't get to ask a question until you have answered mine. Not my rule, that is just the way it is. :D :D

Seriously, do you have an intermittent function on the multi-function switch? If you do, then see if you can locate the intermittent wiper governor (module) under the dash, drivers side above the service brake pedal? If you have the intermittent module the harness from the column goes in and another connector from the wiper motor is also attached. Unplug both from the module and they connect together. Once connected (if the module is the problem) you should have hi-low speeds and the wipers should park Ok.

Post back and let me know if you have the intermittent function on the stalk/switch.

Joe, does that mean I can easily add intermittant to My MJ that came without, with just the module and stalk?

Good question!

Actually, I think the harness is the same, that the stalk contains the resistor and the module is a direct plug in, so I think yes you can do it.

Anybody else have thoughts on this or tried/done it?

yes i do srry didnt mean not to answer i have the intermittent funtion

SoKay!

Anyway, if you need the diagnostic procedures for the wipers PM me your email address.

Have you located the intermittent module? Locate it and try plugging the harness together bypassing the module and post back the results.

Good question!

Actually, I think the harness is the same, that the stalk contains the resistor and the module is a direct plug in, so I think yes you can do it.

Anybody else have thoughts on this or tried/done it?

From the wiring diagrams of that era, it looks like you would need to grab the harness between the stalk and the module. The harness shows more wires, but maybe all the harnesses have the wires but don't use them. 7 wires vs. 5.

From the wiring diagrams of that era, it looks like you would need to grab the harness between the stalk and the module. The harness shows more wires, but maybe all the harnesses have the wires but don't use them. 7 wires vs. 5.

That could be true. There is sometimes a lack of consistency in wiring--one unused circuit and all the wiring is still there, and for another circuit it isn't there.

I have intermittent, so we need someone without to check theirs.

all of mine are intermittent, but when I was searching for a new switch, I remember seeing the harness and switch were different. It shouldn't be too much of a problem swapping them, though-- just pull the switch and harness along with the module and they'll plug-n-play.

all of mine are intermittent, but when I was searching for a new switch, I remember seeing the harness and switch were different. It shouldn't be too much of a problem swapping them, though-- just pull the switch and harness along with the module and they'll plug-n-play.

Thanks Shorty.

So you would need the stalk, switch and harness, and the module.

Hmm, may be next on my list. The MJ I bought was as base as it gets except for AC. 4spd manual, manual everything including steering. Now it has PW, PDL, nice radio, soon to get PS, and the plush carpeting and Door panels soon too.

It is amazing what you can get for $20 at the JY.

Back