• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple questions about homebrew lift

01greenxjsport

NAXJA Forum User
ok im almost done installing my lift on my 2001 xj i made bastard packs and im using zj v8 coils up front

my first question is i need a drop pitman arm ive heard tht a zj pitman arm will work but for how much lift?

secondly what shocks will work for the rear overall ive gotten 4 inches of lift and i need longer shocks

lastly i was planning on cutting the front sway bar links and then welding some tubing on them to make them longer anything wrong with that idea?

im on a very tight budget so i cant buy any new products im mainly goin for junkyard parts or inexpensive upgrades

thanks

you do not need a drop pitman arm

95 2wd ford f-150 shocks in back for a cheap, readily available option
or any 8" maybe 10" travel shock if you want something a little snazzyer

nothing wrong with extending the swaybar endlinks, but I reccomend some swaybar disconnects if you plan on any sort of wheeling.

yea i was planning on makin the disconnects to haha outa wat i have i just didnt kno for sure if my idea for extending them was a good one

I don't think ZJ coils will give you much lift, an inch if they are in great shape. What did you use up front on top of them to make 4"?

ok im almost done installing my lift on my 2001 xj i made bastard packs and im using zj v8 coils up front

my first question is i need a drop pitman arm ive heard tht a zj pitman arm will work but for how much lift?

secondly what shocks will work for the rear overall ive gotten 4 inches of lift and i need longer shocks

lastly i was planning on cutting the front sway bar links and then welding some tubing on them to make them longer anything wrong with that idea?

im on a very tight budget so i cant buy any new products im mainly goin for junkyard parts or inexpensive upgrades

thanks

What about just redrilling the passenger bracket for the trackbar? I did that with my 3.5" Rusty's springs and I'm back all lined up for free, nothing weird with my steering yet either..

The sway bar links I had the same exact thought so I cut the ends off, bought some grade 8 3" long bolts and welded them onto the stock pieces, now I use a wingnut on the top of that with a new set of rubber bushings and total cost was like $10....

I ponied up and spent my $$ on good shocks, I'd highly suggest doing the same, OME for me, but there are other alternatives out there just don't waste ur time with ebay "nitro" stuff etc...

Stock JK shocks seem to work for a bunch of people with a budget lift in that height range. If you go that route I would try and find the Rubicon version if you can.

What about just redrilling the passenger bracket for the trackbar? I did that with my 3.5" Rusty's springs and I'm back all lined up for free, nothing weird with my steering yet either...
Works to a point, above a certain amount of lift you really need an adjustable one that's longer and to change your mounting options, kinda like stock control arms vs adjustable or longarms, the longer and flatter the track bar is (and the closer to the length and angle of the drag link) the better things are going to work.

Thanks I forgot about the wingnuts for the disconnects haha and I'll post some pics of it tomoro once it gets bright again it's pretty stiff but flexes pretty good hopefuy it will stand up to uwharrie

Back