• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chaning AX15 fluid

delp1213

NAXJA Forum User
is it really as easy as just draining and filling? any tricks or techniques I should knokw about? anyone know a thread on this, i found a bunch on chaning diff fluids. what fluid should I use.

Drain and fill. Get a suction gun (I have Plews #30-108 - http://www.plews.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1916&location_id=2626 - that I got for about $10) to make filling easier.

The AX-15 does not like GL-5 gear oil - the added sulphur is antagonistic to the bronze synchroniser rings. Find GL-3 (preferred) or GL-4 (should be OK) for the refill.

Some will tell you to pull the shift tower to fill the case - which is difficult, and you'll need a new gasket or RTV. The suction gun is easier, and also comes in handy for the axles anyhow...

5-90

Any type of pump will work, bought mine at a VIP...To bad I bought it after doing my axle's, make's pumping oil back in the tranny much easier. 5-90 what do you mean by pulling the shift tower? I just filled up from the driver's side plug?

That's where you're supposed to fill from - the fill plug on the side.

Some will tell you to pull the shift tower/shifter lever, but that usually requires pulling out the shifter boot, the weather guard under that, and sometimes the centre console as well. Yech - what a job! I'd rather just pump it in through the hole on the side...

Besides, the AX-15 will want a new gasket of some sort there, and you'll have to clean it off. Besides, filling via the shift tower doesn't always work - and sometimes makes a mess.

5-90

Use Redline MT90 in it. You will not regret spending the extra money. Its hard to find a non GL5 gear oil in most auto parts stores. Any gear oil that says GL-5 on it you don't want. Like 5-90 said the sulphur is hard on the brass syncros and will shorten the life of them. You don't want to buy Redline in a local store unless you are rich and don't care about saving money. I recommend getting the Redline for the transfer case as well. www.myoilshop.com is the cheapest place I have found on the internet for Redline and they are quick with shipping as well. Get MT90 for the AX15 and Synthetic Dexron II for the tranfercase at the same time to reduce duplicate shipping cost.

redline is good stuff, i used it in my mustang gt. if you gearbox is clunky or shifts hard, try BG products, it's hella powerful stuff, but it helped my mustang shift so much better...the synchros were a little jacked. i later had the entire tranny rebuilt, but BG is good stuff, expensive but worth it IMO. delp, i love that i see you post the same ?'s here and at colorado4x4.org, i do the same thing, both great resources....

Last edited:
it was in the neighborhood of $1100 for a whole new fresh rebuilt tranny, and stage 3 racing clutch (that alone was $400), plus labor. i went to Aamco, they did top notch work, plus my pops and i knew the tech so we knew he wouldnt jack us...

Back