• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's wrong with my headlights??

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ, headlights do not come on. They are IPF H4s with Narva bulbs, heavy duty harness, each lamp on a separate relay, fusible link to battery...

Last July I was wheelin, hit a tree on the driver side bumper, folded in my ARB bumper, broke the grill, and headlight bezel. Pulled bumper out with tow strap.

Headlights were on during crash, and worked for the next hour or so. Then they shut off and have not came back on. Running lights work.

Ideas on what I should check for? It's been parked in my garage since, just now getting around to fixing...

I'd start with checking the relay in your hd harness, also check the signal wire from the stock harness to the relay, also something could have shorted out and blown the fuse

I'd start with checking the relay in your hd harness, also check the signal wire from the stock harness to the relay, also something could have shorted out and blown the fuse

Do you know what fuse is for the headlights on the fuse box?

Last July I was wheelin, hit a tree on the driver side bumper, folded in my ARB bumper, broke the grill, and headlight bezel. Pulled bumper out with tow strap.

Wow, My grill didn't get busted when my ARB hit a mercedes Nearly Head on at 50! How fast were you going?

Wow, My grill didn't get busted when my ARB hit a mercedes Nearly Head on at 50! How fast were you going?

Rallying on a forest service around around 50-55 mph, driver side tire got sucked into deep extremely soft dirt, couldnt turn, or do anything but slam on the brakes...The actual impact was around 20-25mph, tree was about 10-12 inches in diameter.

Damn bumper folded like a freakin pancake. Luckily I had reinforcing steel plates integrated with the factory mounts. Im sure those plates saved my unibody...

Doors were off at the time, pushed my DS fender back far enough the door wouldn't go back on until I beat the fender with a big freakin hammer.

Second ARB bumper I've ruined. Will not be buying one again.

Rallying on a forest service around around 50-55 mph, driver side tire got sucked into deep extremely soft dirt, couldnt turn, or do anything but slam on the brakes...The actual impact was around 20-25mph, tree was about 10-12 inches in diameter.

Damn bumper folded like a freakin pancake. Luckily I had reinforcing steel plates integrated with the factory mounts. Im sure those plates saved my unibody...

Doors were off at the time, pushed my DS fender back far enough the door wouldn't go back on until I beat the fender with a big freakin hammer.

Second ARB bumper I've ruined. Will not be buying one again.

damn that'll do it. Its not the bumpers fault. Mine is pretty much toast too but I think it will go on my beater just fine.

check for 12v before, and after the fusible link/fuse.

check for ground at the relay, and at the headlight.

check for 12v referance signal at the old headlight plug, or wherever your harness gets its signal from.

check for the same 12v at the relay <--- i bet you ran your referance wire to your driver side headlight?
check the relay, plug in 12v and ground where it goes, and see if it clicks.

Back