• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn problem

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got my XJ back on the road today after redoing the floors. Almost got side swiped though b/c i was boxed in and couldnt move, and apparently my horn doesnt work anymore so i had to slam on the brakes...anyways, i dont want that to happen again so here is what happens. Anytime i first start it and drive it, if i hit the horn, it beeps for maybe 1/2 a second and then shuts up for the rest of the trip, if i shut it off and drive it again later it will do it again for half a second but thats all i get. What could this be? I searched and found stuff about the relay but that didnt sound like it b/c technically still works but only for that half a second, any ideas? Thanks all.

The horns have gone bad. There is a low and high note. They are behind the front bumper. On the passenger's side there is a tylenol-shaped vacuum canister that you might have to move outta the way to reach one of the horns.

You can test your horns by running a 12v directly to them. If the sound, you have another problem which could be anywhere between the clockspring and the horn. Check for ground issues, blown fuse, or defective relay.

I had a problem like this a while ago too... mine ended up having water in it. go figure the puddles on my road that turn to ponds after a rain kept a steady splash of water in it. had to get a new one, and position it where the water couldn't get it, or atleast get in and stay in. the old one I took out, you can not get the water out of, seems it gets in there, but won't come out. now 4 months later I still shake it and hear water... but not as much.

now that u mention that water problem i think that might be it, about a month ago i took it out of storage (sat in my backyard for about 3 months) and there were spider webs all over it so i decided to spray it down w/ the hose, BIG mistake, i'm an idiot for doing it b/c my tps and map sensors went bad, and now apparently my horn, i'm gonna bet has water in it. Thanks for the info guys.

P.S...where did you get the replacement, was it expensive?

I just went to my local Canadian Tire, but I have seen the same horn in NAPA, and other shops like that. $25 if I remember correctly
just keep in mind like casper said there are high n low note horns. I prefer the low note, sounds less like a ricer. You should have 2 horns, or atleast a spot for 2 horns (one on each side) thats the way my 97 is... if my water logged one dries out and works again I may hook it up too, can never have too much horn.

air horn!!

cant wait to go to the local UP yard and gank one off one of the locomotives! jk.

but i will go with an locomotive air horn some day after oba (legaly)

Back