• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i made a big mistake, please try to help, no start related.

SeansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
1990 4.0

ok so im a dumbarse i know! i was cutting the fender supports off the front and i barely nicked the main harness on the drivers side by the lower radiator support. now it wont start its just turning over. i put some starter fluid and she fired up but shut off once the fluid was gone. went through all the relays with a good one off my buddies to no avail. any ideas? in 2 years this would be the first time i have been stranded in my XJ and its my fault! wgar tops this off is we have a sow run in the morning.

See if you are getting voltage to the fuel pump ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwell.

For a really quick test just use a long jumper wire from the battery to provide 12 volts and see if it will run.

You should probably fix any broken wires - since they're color coded finding which goes where won't be as difficult as you might think. Also, make sure you didn't blow any fuses by shorting those wires to ground momentarily with the sawblade.

yeah the wire is not cut in half i just barely took the plastic coating off and touched it. what other fuses then the relays? i went through all the relays. i searched and found out its the third one back on the pass side but that did not fix the roblem.

Just pull all the fuses one at a time and check if they have blown. No real way of telling which one it is, and most of them are important.

See if you are getting voltage to the fuel pump ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwell.

For a really quick test just use a long jumper wire from the battery to provide 12 volts and see if it will run.

i just bypassed the resistor i did'nt try to run it hot off the battery im doin that now.

thanks!

i tried to run it off the battery but it sparks when i hook it up to the side going into the firewall so that was a no go. where is the fuseable link located to the pump?

just hot wired the fuel pump and got it started but the wire got really hot. maybe i need better wire lol. im gettin closer!

Gotta look at "cause and effect" here.

If nicking the harness created the no-start with no other repairs done and no starting symptoms before this, concentrate your efforts on that damaged harness.

Take another look. You may have another wire damaged or damage to a wire more serious than you first thought.

yea i pulled it all apart to inspect things closer, its just that one red wire in the harness i just barely got it, its wrapped up good now. thanks

i just need to narrow down where the break is in 12v....fun fun

Back