• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 F-150 coils

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a line on some coils listed above, for $20 total, if I go pull them. Before I expend the effort, is it worth it? I'll likely need (really want) new control arms and shocks, but how do they ride. Its a 2000 with the 5.4L Triton V-8 F-150. Regular cab. Any info would be great, thanks!
My rig is in the sig

Ok, the ford itself weights twice as much as the jeep, and then the motor in the ford is again twice as heavy as the jeep motor.

Jeep springs are made to give and take to give articulation, the ford springs where just made to keep the truck up off the tires.

I have seen several of the lifts done. And for a dd rig, some of the people really like it. For a offroading rig, most people hate it.

It all comes down to what do you wan to do with your jeep? Personally, i say go for it, for $20 what the heck right, if you like it, keep them, if you dont like them, put them here or on ebay, and someone will give you the money back for them.

I do recall seeing a set of f150 coils next to a set or stock xj ones and they stock xj were taller but the weight load was much higher on the f150 so it would not squash down as low as the xj ones when the weight of the truck was put back on it making it to appear as being lifted. Drawback was one stiff ass ride and not to much suspension movement. That work for ya??? There is a lot of pics and info out on this on the net. "Google"

NighthawkXJ said:
Ok, the ford itself weights twice as much as the jeep, and then the motor in the ford is again twice as heavy as the jeep motor.

Jeep springs are made to give and take to give articulation, the ford springs where just made to keep the truck up off the tires.

I have seen several of the lifts done. And for a dd rig, some of the people really like it. For a offroading rig, most people hate it.

It all comes down to what do you wan to do with your jeep? Personally, i say go for it, for $20 what the heck right, if you like it, keep them, if you dont like them, put them here or on ebay, and someone will give you the money back for them.
The ford motor weighs over 1k? Sure it does.

A guy in my club runs 6" list f 250 coils. I think hes nuts but he seems to like it. For only 20$ and an hour of your time you dont have much to lose to try em out. Though I would save up and get some real coils, but thats just me.

hi there ramsey where in shreveport la do you ride at i just moved from texarkana and used to go to la but didnt really see any place to ride

It is IFS. IFS can use coils or torsion bars. The F-150 uses front coils. I was figuring on it being a pretty stiff ride, but I've only owned one smooth vehicle so that's ok by me... I'm lookin at it as way to get my Jeep higher quicker...My ideal plan would be something like the DPG 4" or maybe 5" hybrid. Probably the 4" though. I've already got lift shackles in the rear that I don't feel like getting rid of and I don't want to be much higher than 5" or so...

I have 70's bronco coils in my 90 XJ ltd and the ride is not very harsh, and it does flex quite well. they gave me exactly 3.5" lift (wheel center to flare measures 21.5") I think there are different kinds of coil out there though. these ones were 'supposedly' a bronco lift coil, and the wire seems to be a smaller gauge than other f150/bronco coils I have seen. maybe I lucked out

1997-03 F150 4x4 uses Torsion bars...i know cause i have one (gotta clear the axle shaft)

1997-03 F150 4x2 uses coils... I know cause ive seen one

pre 97 F150 all models use Coils with its TTB

04 and newer??? i dont even have enough money in the bank to look at the suspension!

~scott

Back