• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would taking off the trackbar mess with alignment?

red91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Would taking off the trackbar mess with my alignment? I don't think it would but thought I would ask those more knowledgable than I. Thanks.

Replied to completely the wrong thing. Deleted.

Last edited:
The rear trackbar, however, is OK to remove and is one of the best zero-dollar mods you can do to your XJ in terms of helping articulation. FWIW, the Upcountry-spec XJs came from the factory with no rear swaybar as standard.

But yeah. Keep the front in place. If you just want to disconnect it for trail use, that's fine - but on pavement it should really be there.

There is no rear trackbar... you are thinking of the swaybar.

I worded the question wrong obviously. I know I need the trackbar on in order to drive around, I took the trackbar off to do some work, replaced it and the alignment is all jacked. However in writing this I think I answered my own question. I think I have my control arms set wrong thereby throwing off my caster and causing my squirrely steering problem...

how is the joint/rod end at the mount on the jeep and axle? if the joint at either end has play in it, you're gonna be all over the place.

I haven't checked that, at work currently so I can't till tomorrow. But I will be sure to.

Disconnecting the track bar won't change the camber, toe, or caster.

The track bar simply keeps the front axle centered. If you don't like where the axle sits, simply disconnect the track bar at the axle, bounce the front end a couple times and then adjust and reattach the track bar, no harm done.

Yeah I had put an adjustable t-bar on which detroyed itself (ball joint went) so I put the stocker back on and did adjustable control arms too. Like I said I think I have the ca's set wrong.

Yep, the adjustable CAs will change the caster.

Most "ordinary" alignment shops won't mess with caster on XJs, some actually believe it can't be adjusted.

Find a 4x4 shop that does alignments and you won't have any problems.

Back