• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID's in a H4 Housing?

Tim00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Last year I decided to upgrade my lighting and went with Delta H4 E-Code Housing, aftermarket harness, and PIAA bulbs. However, they are not up to my par anymore, and am looking for something brighter. Therefore, I've decided to go with HID's.

I was looking at DDM Tuning's 55w HID Kit and was wondering if they'd work well with my current housings.

Last edited:
you're never going to get oem hid performance out of a conversion because the reflector was designed for halogen, but with that said I am very happy with the ddm raptor 55w kit in my autopals. next I'm going to convert some hella 500s for the front bumper to make up for losing the high beams

I don't know...but I'd love to see where you end up with this. Please let us know! That's a pretty sweet price. If you end up needing clear lenses without the lines etched on the inside of them, Rampage makes some for the XJ. I'm running those now with Silverstars...and getting ready to do the wiring upgrade soon.

I don't know...but I'd love to see where you end up with this. Please let us know! That's a pretty sweet price. If you end up needing clear lenses without the lines etched on the inside of them, Rampage makes some for the XJ. I'm running those now with Silverstars...and getting ready to do the wiring upgrade soon.

if you don't mind a little bigger ballast the raptor kit is even cheaper

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85

also ddm is san diego based and from everything I've read they stand behind their products and actually honor their lifetime warranty unlike most of the ebay sellers

Last year I decided to upgrade my lighting and went with Delta H4 E-Code Housing, aftermarket harness, and PIAA bulbs. However, they are not up to my par anymore, and am looking for something brighter. Therefore, I've decided to go with HID's.

I was looking at DDM Tuning's 55w HID Kit and was wondering if they'd work well with my current housings.

I have the DDM kit on the way. I also need to order an set of euro conversions from autopal since i accidentally ordered the clear lens ones. I am just gonna throw those on my other Jeep since its headlights are still stock sealed beams. I also have an upgraded harness for the headlights to install to handle the 55w HID's I ordered. You can also PM tcm_glx on here and pick up a set of his HID's they are pricier than the DDM ones but I hear the quality and customer service can't be beat.

Yeah, I'm also ordering their harness for the 55w HID kit.

I'm assuming this will be much brighter than my current setup?

Yes, the harness alone will make them way better. I will be doing a comparison when I get mine. I am going to start with the Sylvania sealed beams that are in it now. Then, I'll move on to the bulbs that come with the autopals. Then the HID's. I am also going to try to compare it to a retro fit side by side and see how much better the retrofits are.

I'd rather not take the chance on buying a $30 projector housing from ebay, they look like sh*t.

Also came up with a couple questions. Will my cutoff with the e-code housing still be sufficient? Secondly, without a projector, will I still be able to use the hi-beam?

I'd rather not take the chance on buying a $30 projector housing from ebay, they look like sh*t.

Also came up with a couple questions. Will my cutoff with the e-code housing still be sufficient? Secondly, without a projector, will I still be able to use the hi-beam?

Yes and Yes.

IF you get a high/low HID kit.

Yeah that too but if you got the DDM H4 kit and didn't spend the extra 10 bucks for Hi/Lo you are special!

Ok, not to sound like a dink but this is one my BIGGEST pet peeves when it comes to driving.

If you are going to get an HID set-up, please for the love of god get the correct housings. And by correct housings I mean projectors or at least something that was specifically designed for HID lights.

I have seen a crap load of Ford Exploders/Rangers and Chevy Suburbans and the like using HID lights in the stock housings and WOW! Someone should shoot those bastards. The amount of light scatter from Halogen housings is ridiculous. I can barely see anything after driving past one of those idiots.

So, if you're going to do it, do it right....the first time.

*off soapbox*
:soapbox:

Yeah maybe. Most of those kits are that way anyways right?

I was looking at their bulbs at DDM and it looked like the H4 only had one bulb. It has a sheild on it from what I can tell.

Ok, not to sound like a dink but this is one my BIGGEST pet peeves when it comes to driving.

If you are going to get an HID set-up, please for the love of god get the correct housings. And by correct housings I mean projectors or at least something that was specifically designed for HID lights.

I have seen a crap load of Ford Exploders/Rangers and Chevy Suburbans and the like using HID lights in the stock housings and WOW! Someone should shoot those bastards. The amount of light scatter from Halogen housings is ridiculous. I can barely see anything after driving past one of those idiots.

So, if you're going to do it, do it right....the first time.

*off soapbox*
:soapbox:

thats funny, i feel the same way about bmw's.

ive got my HID's aimed conservatively, so to you i say good day!

ive got my HID's aimed conservatively, so to you i say good day!

Yeah it would be a good guess saying that those guys he was talking about didn't aim a damn thing!

I the marketing manager for Delta. Bogden (the owner) is a fool and gets all his junk from China. The Delta housings are no different than the autopal's. Just about 4x more expensive.

Back