• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooler plumbing Q

TheSandman

NAXJA Forum User
I know this topic has been talked about A LOT and I've searched and am still somewhat confused. I'm installing my explorer trans cooler and am curious about plumbing. I plan on running the stock cooler in the rad, should I put the cooler before or after the rad cooler? Some say run the cooler BEFORE the rad cooler so the rad cooler pre-heats the fluid before it returns to the tranny. Wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of a cooler since your heating the fluid up that you just cooled? I think running it AFTER the rad cooler would be more effecient.

Don't some jeeps come from the factory with external trans coolers? How are they plumbed?

Just want some clarification before I install mine tomorrow.

The recommended routing per B&M is transmission->cooler->radiator->transmission. The fluid needs to be within an operating temperature range, and routing it this way allows the radiator to help it warm up at cold start. Also the B&M cooler has a bypass valve so it will only cool the fluid if it is already hot when coming from the transmission.

I know this topic has been talked about A LOT and I've searched and am still somewhat confused. I'm installing my explorer trans cooler and am curious about plumbing. I plan on running the stock cooler in the rad, should I put the cooler before or after the rad cooler? Some say run the cooler BEFORE the rad cooler so the rad cooler pre-heats the fluid before it returns to the tranny. Wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of a cooler since your heating the fluid up that you just cooled? I think running it AFTER the rad cooler would be more effecient.

Don't some jeeps come from the factory with external trans coolers? How are they plumbed?

Just want some clarification before I install mine tomorrow.

I hope you don't mind me getting a chuckle out of your question. :)

You say you've already read a bunch of comments with differing opinions, so now to clarify you're asking to hear more of the same opinions from the same people. There is no hard evidence either way, so do whatever you think is right for you.

I hope you don't mind me getting a chuckle out of your question. :)

You say you've already read a bunch of comments with differing opinions, so now to clarify you're asking to hear more of the same opinions from the same people. There is no hard evidence either way, so do whatever you think is right for you.

Haha, well I guess I should have clarified.

I mean you read through the threads and you read "well this is how I do it" or "If it were me, I'd do this".

I don't want to know this guy or that guy THINKS, I want to know what the proper method of install is per the factory or other trans cooler manufacter.

As an engineer, I'd like to note that if you do it per the factory/trans cooler maker's instructions, you're just cutting the sample size on answers down to the fifteen engineers who sat around a meeting table discussing exactly what we're discussing right now :roflmao:

Myself, I'd put it downstream of the radiator.

I like to think that somebody somewhere did some R&D and discovered that one way is actually better than another but then again most of the engineers I personally deal with never let data get in the way of their opinion so who knows really

My opinion... like Goatman said, putting it before the radiator will result in faster warm-up (if the engine warms up faster than the transmission, which it should unless the clutch packs are nearly gone anyways.) Putting it after the radiator will result in lower running temps. Which one is important to you is what matters, me, I consider lower running temps more important.

More important is not to introduce extra "heat loading" INTO the radiator when the trans is working hard.

The issue is climate and loads. If you live where it's colder, then getting it to proper running temps is a major factor. If you live where it's much hotter, and put good loads on it, then overall operating temp is more important.

In my mind, you can't go with how the factory does it. They must make it work satisfactorily in all environments. If the factory made it the best, then we wouldn't have so many aftermarket upgrades, and you most likely wouldn't be adding an aux trans cooler.........or a bigger radiator, or stronger axles, or...or...or.

Back