• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Valve Cover Gasket for the Money?

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What is considered to be the best Inline 6 valve cover gasket that either Autozone, Napa, or Shucks sells considering cost? I noticed that Napa has a $40+ gasket (probably the best) but I was wondering if I would just be paying for the same performance as their $8 gasket. Thoughts?

Just use RTV.

I was thinking the same thing when I serviced my AW4. A real gasket has to be better, right?!?! Bought a new "filter" from NAPA that came with the high dollar rubber gasket. That gasket was squishing out all over the place before I got anywhere near the recommeded pan bolt torque. I left it at "tight enough" and tt eventually split at several of the bolt holes. Took it off and used RTV.

I don't know about the aluminum valve cover gasket, but the best one for the steel cover is the felpro, which is reusable. I probably have had my valve cover off 13 times and it still doesn't leak.

Just use RTV.

I was thinking the same thing when I serviced my AW4. A real gasket has to be better, right?!?! Bought a new "filter" from NAPA that came with the high dollar rubber gasket. That gasket was squishing out all over the place before I got anywhere near the recommeded pan bolt torque. I left it at "tight enough" and tt eventually split at several of the bolt holes. Took it off and used RTV.

You are not suppose to use RTV on tranmission pans. RTV will break off on the inside of the pan and stick in places were it shouldnt be. Causeing problems down the road.
If you properly torque the gasket you should have had no problem.

As for the valve cover gasket. If you are going to have it off and on several times go ahead and spend the money on a rubber gasket. Itll be worth your time and money. If you just want it to seal. A felpro gasket with some gasket sealant to hold it in place should be fine.

If you must uses RTV Spend the coin and buy 'The Right Stuff" by permatex. Its basically a rubber gasket in a can. Spread a thin bead out let it dry and bolt it down. It can be taken on and off several times before it needs to be replace.

Key to keeping a gasket sealed is a clean dry surface for it to seal to.

This also should have been in OEM Tech

You are not suppose to use RTV on tranmission pans. RTV will break off on the inside of the pan and stick in places were it shouldnt be. Causeing problems down the road.

Not true. If you know how to use RTV you won't have any break off in the transmission. That is how the AW4 pan is sealed from the factory as well as what is listed for its gasket from mopar.

I have a fel-pro rubber gasket on mine. Victor Reinz's 5713 gasket tear-down set for the 0331 came with a nice rubber valve cover gasket as well. When I fixed a buddy's ZJ w/ leaking tran-pan, I used a rubber gasket that came with the filter kit and didn't use any RTV and it's sealed up thus far.

My valve cover was leaking through the stock gasket. So I removed it, scraped the gasket and put a thick bead of RTV on it and I must have screwed up putting the cover on because now it leaks more than it did before. I have the aluminum cover, should I spend the money and get the $40 Felpro or the $10 Felpro? I am leaning more towards the $40 because it sounds like the end all for leaks/problems. Thanks!

Another vote for the Fel-Pro PermaDry.

If you properly torque the gasket you should have had no problem.

As for the valve cover gasket. If you are going to have it off and on several times go ahead and spend the money on a rubber gasket. Itll be worth your time and money. If you just want it to seal. A felpro gasket with some gasket sealant to hold it in place should be fine.

If you must uses RTV Spend the coin and buy 'The Right Stuff" by permatex. Its basically a rubber gasket in a can. Spread a thin bead out let it dry and bolt it down. It can be taken on and off several times before it needs to be replace.

Key to keeping a gasket sealed is a clean dry surface for it to seal to.

This also should have been in OEM Tech

On the contrary, Toyota Camrys, many GM's, Mitsubishi's and others come without a Tranny gasket and have silicone from the factory... Oil pans on later 7.3L Diesels are siliconed from the factory and finding a gasket is near impossible.... the downside to silicone comes from people who think that a tube of silicone is glue. Gasket Makers (aka: Silcone) are exactly that "GASKET MAKERS" not glue..... I have assembled "junkyard rebuild" engines for derby cars, off roaders, mudders etc. with mostly a tube of gasket maker..... the difference is whether you know how to use it or not...... just my .02

the blue permadry is money. I like it a lot. I shell out for the higher quality gaskets most of the time because I hate working on dirty greasy motors and a good set of gaskets go a long way in helping that situation.

Good advice, I would much rather work on a clean engine. I will get the PermaDry later this afternoon. I have honestly never been good at applying gasket maker/RTV sealant or whatever and have paid for it time and time again. Thanks!

yea, unfortunately I will be replacing the head gasket on my MJ soon. It has the 2.5 and I am trying to source an aluminum VC so I can ditch the plastic one. That motor is always nasty, too much seepage from that craptastic plastic pos.

But at least after this I will know how much more I can expect from the motor, and know what kinda condition everything is in.

My favorite valve cover gasket isn't a gasket at all. I use "The Right Stuff" sealant.

You guy's are way too modern. These are old inline 6's. Call me old school, but I like to use gasket adhesive to glue a cork gasket onto the valve cover. Then just a light coat of grease between the gasket and the head. This can be removed and reused many times without replacing or cleaning anything.

Blast from the past with air-cooled VW's needing short interval valve adjustments. It won't leak oil and is cheap.

Can we still get cork gaskets?

Back