• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrecking yard fix-me-ups.

VanDerKen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, here's a snapshot of what I have to work on:

'87 Pioneer, I6, auto tranny, 242 transfer case, dana 30 front, dana 44 (limited slip) rear.

I've got a leaking steering pump that I'm hoping to change out from a wrecking yard but aside from one from the same year, what other years can I salvage from?

I found a donor '93 with a 4.10 front dana 30 (non-vacuum) that I'm thinking of swapping in the whole axle for the gearing (I've got 3.55's right now) and will likely regear the rear if the front will work.

I'm also gonna see if an old J10 truck with dana 44's will have 4.10 gears and an open carrier for the rear and plan for a locker.

:bawl: Yeah, I know I'm babbling but since every other upgrade, except for my cone filter and tube, has come from the wrecking yard (lift kit, brake upgrade, cooling upgrades, steering repairs, body parts, tow hitch, tow bar, skid plates, etc...) that with some good advice the trend will continue.

Thanks folks.:us::party:

87-89 for sure in the PS pump swap. You would have to check check the part numbers of other years to see if they are the same.

The non-vac D30 will bolt-in.. so go ahead and do that and regear the rear end. I believe that the D44 in the XJ is shorter than the D44 in the FSJ. Not sure if the carrier/pinion swap over.

I found a donor '93 with a 4.10 front dana 30 (non-vacuum) that I'm thinking of swapping in the whole axle for the gearing (I've got 3.55's right now) and will likely regear the rear if the front will work.

I'm also gonna see if an old J10 truck with dana 44's will have 4.10 gears and an open carrier for the rear and plan for a locker.

:bawl: Yeah, I know I'm babbling but since every other upgrade, except for my cone filter and tube, has come from the wrecking yard (lift kit, brake upgrade, cooling upgrades, steering repairs, body parts, tow hitch, tow bar, skid plates, etc...) that with some good advice the trend will continue.

Thanks folks.:us::party:
Yeah, go for the d30. Cheap regear, why not? Just make sure it's in good shape, and take the brake calipers with it - there is a difference in the knuckles/brake calipers between 87 and 93 iirc.

Rear end - does the J-truck you're looking at have the same bolt pattern? I don't know much about the J-trucks. Make sure it's 5 on 4.5 or you could end up carrying two spare tires. Also look into an 8.8 swap, you can find 8.8" rear ends with disc brakes (look under 95/96-up Explorers) and 4.10 gears already in them and they are about as strong as a d44 and have the same wheel bolt pattern. Just a little narrower WMS to WMS though, so make sure you have a little leeway between your sidewalls and springs you can afford to lose.

I also upgrade from the junkyard... OHC, mirrors on my XJ, doors and mirrors going on my MJ, my front skid plate on the XJ, tie rod on both, and axles going into the XJ all came from the junkyard, and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

Sounds good folks, sounds good. Keep 'em coming! :yelclap:

I was thinking about the pump and seeing anything that I buy from a yard will be about as old as my Heep now, I may just buy a reman.

The axle swap sounds good just so that I don't have to have the gears installed and I'll get better brakes to go with it (means more money for other goodies). Just as long as I can add a locker to it.

Back