• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autozone Duralast Gold U-Joint Opinions

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How long do the factory lubed Duralast Gold rear drive shaft U-joints last from Autozone in comparison to a standard u-joint with a zerk fitting?

Thanks!

Generally speaking pre-lubed joints are stronger than greasable joints because they are solid and aren't hollow in the middle. Having said that I prefer the greasable joints so I don't have to disassemble everything to regrease them.

As for the Duralast Gold, some of them are Brute Force u-joints in a different box. You can spot them from the part number if you can look at the counter jockey screen.

they are pretty terrible, i get about half a wheeling run out of them. if I need something in a pinch to get me around i'll get the cheapest (usually a pdq) i can find knowing that it will be soon swapped out.

i only run spicers or better from now on

yes auto zone should be used for a DD or trail spare or in a pinch to fix a broken u joint

the spices 760x upgrade is the best and cheapest thing you can do if you have the smaller u joints - good for 33's even on 35's with a light foot

only auto zone u joint i have in my XJ is for a trail spare and i had to put one in a drive shaft in a pinch

he's asking about driveshaft u-joints not axle u-joints

driveshaft u-joints are only really stressed with off-roading, but axle u-joints get stressed everytime you parallel park
I knew that he was talking about driveshaft joints. I'm still standing by my statement of Spicers only. I was in a pinch a few months ago and couldn't wait for Spicers to come in (special order for my truck) and was forced to run a Brute Force. :shiver: In my DD it lasted just about 8 months before it needed to be replaced again. I've been running strong on it's Spicer replacement with no issues.

As other people have pointed there isn't any reason not to run Spicers. For the very minor cost difference, why not?

Oh, and it isn't about "being stressed" either. Think about many times the driveshaft rotates for every revolution the axle shaft does.

Last edited:
I experienced fitment issues with the caps of the gold u joints. I had to return them as I could not force the caps into the drive shaft holes with out cracking them or messing up the needle bearings.

Back