• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this? Pics attached.

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys... Going to re-do the headliner this weekend, and just was curious what this goofy thing is...

The jeep is a 97 sport, and it does not have remote door lock... (i know this is where the sensor is located with models equipped with that... i think... usually has a little "dome" thing coming out??)

Thanks in advance!

CSC_0562.jpg

CSC_0565.jpg

RF receiver for remote keyless entry. The 96 down units used IR, the 97 up use RF and thus don't need the little dome. 98 or 99, they integrated the receiver into the dome light IIRC.

My 98 has it in the dome light too. At least it did until I replaced it with an overhead console. Congrats! you have keyless entry.

My 98 has it in the dome light too. At least it did until I replaced it with an overhead console. Congrats! you have keyless entry.

!!!! :shocked: ok..... so, i bought it from used car dealer, asked if they had extra key/remote entry, they said no! bummer.....

Just from pulling the dash a few times, I have noticed that there are some cut wires, particularly near the doors. I am making the strong assumption that an external remote entry/alarm system was installed, and then removed when the jeep was sold. So... if it had stock keyless entry, how can I get a remote etc. to make this work!?

This would be sweet if this works out, cause I have been wanting to install a remote system, hopefully now I wont have to!!

Wow! haha thanks alot guys!

Just from pulling the dash a few times, I have noticed that there are some cut wires, particularly near the doors.

Without knowing exactly which wires were cut or where, it's also possible that they originally fed power and/or heated mirrors or power windows. It's also not uncommon for speaker wires to break at point of entry to the door, so they're another possibility. Again, though, we'd need to see what's been cut to try to figure that one out.

I am making the strong assumption that an external remote entry/alarm system was installed, and then removed when the jeep was sold. So... if it had stock keyless entry, how can I get a remote etc. to make this work!?

Entirely possible. As for the keyless entry, you can pick up fobs on eBay (make sure to get the RF kind, though, not IR) and have them programmed at the dealer. Dealer programming isn't cheap, though, and will require your VIN number in order to match the fob to the XJ. I'm not aware of anyone other than the dealer who is able to do this; someone else can answer that one.

Before you get into that, though, pull the door panels and verify that there are power lock solenoids in there. It's entirely possible that what your XJ left the factory with and what it has now are two entirely different things in this case - someone could have already cannibalised it for an upgrade of their own, which could also possibly be what the cut wires are indicating. Even if you have power door lock switches, if they don't do anything that could be indicative of anything from cut or faulty wiring to the solenoids having been removed.

Last edited:
Without knowing exactly which wires were cut or where, it's also possible that they originally fed power and/or heated mirrors or power windows. It's also not uncommon for speaker wires to break at point of entry to the door, so they're another possibility. Again, though, we'd need to see what's been cut to try to figure that one out.

Entirely possible. As for the keyless entry, you can pick up fobs on eBay (make sure to get the RF kind, though, not IR) and have them programmed at the dealer. Dealer programming isn't cheap, though, and will require your VIN number in order to match the fob to the XJ. I'm not aware of anyone other than the dealer who is able to do this; someone else can answer that one.

Before you get into that, though, pull the door panels and verify that there are power lock solenoids in there. It's entirely possible that what your XJ left the factory with and what it has now are two entirely different things in this case - someone could have already cannibalised it for an upgrade of their own, which could also possibly be what the cut wires are indicating. Even if you have power door lock switches, if they don't do anything that could be indicative of anything from cut or faulty wiring to the solenoids having been removed.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I was afraid of having a dealership become part of this... I will be doing some work on the XJ over the weekend, and ill check out the cut wires in more detail.

As the XJ is now, its electric locks and windows work just fine, I would imagine that the solenoids are there, and working. Im thinking that the wires that are cut are ones that just tie into the factory wiring... I would hate to spend money on a remote and programming and then find out that something is damaged...

Awesome, the factory electric locks work? Shouldn't be hard to get the remote key entry working then. The wiring harness for the remote key entry module plugs into the window/mirror/lock harness (which runs across the floorboards just past the front end of the center console) up under the dashboard on the passenger side IIRC (the wiring harness for the RKE module or OHC comes down the passenger side A-pillar), though my knowledge of the XJ electrical system is heavily biased towards the 96-down models. If the cut wires are located there, you may have a problem, else they are something else.

DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!... that is the very structure that holds the entire universe in balance,... one sneeze and we are all FU***D!!!!!!!

Lol.... sorry just bored!

Yeah... Like I said, I'll have the XJ in a warm garage this weekend, and I'll get a closer look at what is exactly cut/replaced. This would be really awesome if this works out! I'll start looking for a fob and find out about programming. Thanks again!

DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!... that is the very structure that holds the entire universe in balance,...
Great! Just great! We all had him convinced it was just keyless entry, and he had to have a dealership reprogram a remote to make it work. Then you go and shoot your mouth off. Now he's going to go play with it. You see what your did? Idiot,..

If the world ends this weekend, I'm never talking to you again.

Kevin, Keep an eye out on in the for sale sections for people selling the keyless entry fobs. I got one not to long ago for a great price. 30 seconds to pull the dome light down, swap circuit boards, re-install the dome light and now I have keyless entry.

As long as you have power locks, you can pickup a matching circuit board and key fob to swap in.

DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!... that is the very structure that holds the entire universe in balance,... one sneeze and we are all FU***D!!!!!!!

Lol.... sorry just bored!

Great! Just great! We all had him convinced it was just keyless entry, and he had to have a dealership reprogram a remote to make it work. Then you go and shoot your mouth off. Now he's going to go play with it. You see what your did? Idiot,..

If the world ends this weekend, I'm never talking to you again.

I thought that is what happend when you divide by ZERO?!

Back