• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf issues....???

blacklabel000

NAXJA Forum User
too make a long story short i have a 96' xj sitting on 6.5" of lift and 35s, the problem is i have full 6.5 leafs in the back, with stock shackles.

i havn't had this rig flexed out, or on any trails yet(still figuring out steering and longarm issues) but i have heard that with the setup i have going on in the rear, is a terrible setup....due to no flex what-so-ever?

i guess im beatin around the bush a little too much.....

so heres what i have it boiled down to,(keep in mind I'd like to stay at 6.5)
-i can pick up a set of revolver shackles for cheap, but ive heard bad things
-sell the 6.5 springs, pick up 4.5 springs and 2" shackles?
-forget about the whole thing and let it be?

This site has alot of great guys and ive learned alot so far, i just dont know which way to go here...........
thanks a ton,
-Nick
:cheers:

Buy shackle relocation brackets, and a 1" coil spacer. go up an inch and fix your shackle angle.

4.5 leafs, shackle relocation bracket and a 1" shackle. Put me at about 6.5" and it rides and flexes great. Its all about that shackle angle and letting those leafs cycle.

Try it first. Odds are you'll need a longer shackle, but no sense stressing on it till you know what it will do.

ok well my cheapest option right now is a set of revolver shackles, and goatman- i know u hate them(read a few things you said about them).

but heres what i was thinking, if i put a limit strap to limit the full flex, would they unload as hard? and still give me the effects of a normal shackle?

IIRC,Revolvers only add like 1" lift.

Stay away from the Revolvers, scary unloading characteristics. I agree with Goatman, run it and see how it goes. No use trying to fix something without even knowing how it responds.

Some people have had good things to say about them...they might do what you want. BUT, run what you got and see what happens. It sounds like you really want to buy those revolvers, so do whatever you want. See what happens now, then try the revolvers if you dare. My vote is on 4.5 springs and a 2" shackle, if your shackle angle would be OK with it (mine is pretty good on a '99, but I hear most are bad)

so stay away from the revolvers, regardless of how cheap i can get them? are they truely THAT bad on and off road?

Yes, they are that bad offroad. The negatives don't show up when fully flexed, they show up when climbing and sometimes when going off steep stuff. It has nothing to do with flex, it has to do with succesfully converting engine power to traction on the ground. I wouldn't run them if they were free.

If someone gave you a set of 33" 10 ply street tread truck tires would you run them in the rocks and mud because they were free? :)

Back