• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mobile OBD II

I saw someone earlier in the "Interior Mods" category that had a Palm Phone connected constantly to their OBD II port, that gave them real time results of data and errors. So its possible I read...

Question: if anyone has done it, what is the cheapest and/or best way of doing this. I have a few old Windows Mobile phones and a Blackberry that would work well for this application. It's not that I NEED an OBD II, someone in my family has one I can always borrow, it's just that I want one, and it would be nice not to rely on family members to lend you 'tools'.

I also read where you can build your own, but I'm not electronically savvy enough to pull it off, even though I'd love to try. I've seen bluetooth options and USB options. Who has tried what???

I havent tested it, but thinkgeek.com has a piece called "carchip" that plugs into your OBDII port and can log info, and read codes/clear them as well. it has a mini usb connection on it. might work with a WM powered phone.

I havent tested it, but thinkgeek.com has a piece called "carchip" that plugs into your OBDII port and can log info, and read codes/clear them as well. it has a mini usb connection on it. might work with a WM powered phone.

There's also a bunch out there that can connect via Bluetooth. This has led me to dust off my realtime telemetry project from a few years ago...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/8426/

this thing got good reviews and it's multifunctional

Yeah, that's the Scangauge II, I wouldn't get too excited about it.

One guy posting on NAXJA says he owns three of those, and swears on the Holy Bible (my exaggeration) that all three of his vehicles enter closed loop mode within a minute of a cold engine start--which is impossible, but because the Scangauge tells him it does he swears by it. Kind of like an Al Gore disciple. Of course the picture he posted of his Scangauge was an early version, so Scangauge II may have the problem corrected.

Back