• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ brakes

60thXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my front rotors and pads a few years ago. Never touched the back drums. Recently while driving i realized that i was having to press the pedal awfully hard to get the XJ to stop. That triggered me to pull up on Emergency brake since it runs primarily off rear brakes. NOTHING! Jeep kept moving.

What would you recommend for stock replacement? I have thoughts of buying new drum covers and painting the way i wanted, as current ones are rusted and i wanted to paint them anyway.

Should i replace front as well if rear need replaced? What brand do you recommend? Help appreciated.

If you have never adjusted the rear brakes, I would do that before investing any money in new parts. I do mine by jacking up the rear one side at a time. You access the adjusters by removing the rubber plug in the center of the backing plate and prying up or down on the nothced wheel (depending on which side) w/ a flat head screw driver. If you shine a flash light into the hole you can see the wheel.

I set them so they rear tire will spin around about 1-1/2 times grab the top of the tire and spin to the ground as hard as I can one time using my dominant arm. There's probably a more exact method to determine the proper tension, but that's what works for me.

I'd recommend checking the adjusters as mentioned. Even with all new hardware, they do not self adjust properly on mine, meaning I have to keep an eye on them, lest I lose the rear brakes periodically.

X2 - Adjust like gw204 suggested. For tightest fit that works good, I just snug them up all the way until it binds the drums pretty good (can't spin wheel at all), pump the brakes a few times, work the handbrake a couple of times, then back off the adjustment until it turns freely but you still hear a very slight rubbing.

If you have over 50k miles on it, I'd pull the drums first and check out the lining thickness, and make sure the star wheel adjuster gizmo is free to rotate.

Xj rear brakes SUCK.
Convert to rear disc. Easy to do & no more suckey drums to deal with!
Tons of threads on here to guide you through the disc conversion.

Xj rear brakes SUCK.
Convert to rear disc. Easy to do & no more suckey drums to deal with!
Tons of threads on here to guide you through the disc conversion.

Yeah but if he's on a budget and doesn't wheel it (stock jeep) why spend all the time and money? The factory brake setup is plenty sufficient for a stock daily driver.

Sounds like all you need is to adjust the rears, and since you've never opened the drums I would recommend checking the shoes and replace if worn.

Yeah but if he's on a budget and doesn't wheel it (stock jeep) why spend all the time and money? The factory brake setup is plenty sufficient for a stock daily driver.

Sounds like all you need is to adjust the rears, and since you've never opened the drums I would recommend checking the shoes and replace if worn.

has just over 80,000 miles on it, never been opened up. I bought it as a lease turn in in 2004. had 46,000 on it then. I hate the look of drums, but price difference would be only things that get me. Disc are much easier to work on.

has just over 80,000 miles on it, never been opened up. I bought it as a lease turn in in 2004. had 46,000 on it then. I hate the look of drums, but price difference would be only things that get me. Disc are much easier to work on.

Disc conversions are somewhat involved. That doesn't mean they're beyond the means of a home mechanic, just that depending on which route you go you'll get a different set of headaches and fiddly things to deal with. Absolutely worth it in my opinion, though, especially on a vehicle that you tow with and/or are planning on keeping for a long time.

One piece of advice regarding the adjusters (which definitely should be checked): don't be surprised if they're shot. As others have said, the rear drums on XJs are pretty well useless to begin with, and the adjusters were gone on both my '01 and present 2000 by around the five-to-six-year mark.

One piece of advice regarding the adjusters (which definitely should be checked): don't be surprised if they're shot. As others have said, the rear drums on XJs are pretty well useless to begin with, and the adjusters were gone on both my '01 and present 2000 by around the five-to-six-year mark.

Excellent point, agreed. I bought my '99 brand new off the lot, so it's 11 yrs old now. My adjusters have been shot for yrs now, but I never really need the e-brake so I've just lived with it.

Here's a link to a pricey, but worthwhile in many ways, rear disc conversion setup;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TMI-004354420/

Here's a link to a pricey, but worthwhile in many ways, rear disc conversion setup;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TMI-004354420/

I'll second that this is an excellent kit; it's basically the D35/C8.25 version of what I have on my D44 and I am very happy with it. Cheap it definitely is not, however. Fortunately, there are a lot of junkyard conversions you can pick up for substantially less than this. If you're serious about it, I'd recommend using the search to dig up more info and go from there; there's been a lot written up here on rear disc upgrades over the years.

I had a similar problem when I got my XJ. It was eight years old at the time. I had a wheel cylinder that was leaking. Fixed that and the problam was gone.

forget the debate of disc conversion or not...

correct me if I'm wrong, but the Jeep mainly stops using the front brakes, and if he's pressing pretty hard to have to stop, shouldn't he start looking at the front brakes, maybe even the brake fluid/pump first? just because his e-brake doesn't work, usually doesn't mean his rear brakes are the single cause for him having to press hard to stop.

If you can lock up the rear drum brakes, you don't need more. And if you convert to disc, your parking brake pretty much goes away. If you are working a hill, especially with a stick shift, the parking brake comes in pretty handy.

It sounds like the wheel cylinders are froze up. If the adjustment was just off, your pedal would go away.

Last edited:
For what it's worth...I have a 2001 XJ Daily Driver...this past summer hit 80K ...checked rear brakes and drums...shoes were ready to be replaced...drums didn't have much life left on them either based on the measurements I took..ended up replacing shoes, drums, adjusters, springs, all the little parts...bled out the old fluid....Brakes are working just fine. Chances are your drums are ready to be replaced as well.

For what it's worth...I have a 2001 XJ Daily Driver...this past summer hit 80K ...checked rear brakes and drums...shoes were ready to be replaced...drums didn't have much life left on them either based on the measurements I took..ended up replacing shoes, drums, adjusters, springs, all the little parts...bled out the old fluid....Brakes are working just fine. Chances are your drums are ready to be replaced as well.

I was thinking with the milage on the vehicle and never being opened up. That this would be best. I'll have my buddy check everything before i go buying.

Correct me if i'm wrong.....but your in Indiana? AKA "Rust Belt"? Check all of your brake lines for corrosion....especially if you have to top off the MC.

I had my lines to the rear rust out on my 2000, now the front are letting go as well.

The rest is primaririly inspect and rehab/rebuild as necessary. Also, do a complete flush of your lines starting with brake farthest from the MC. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and that rots your lines from the inside out......also contributes to brake fad when they are used hard.

Back