• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolting up the nv3550 5spd to 92 inline six???

ridin'filthy

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i currently have a green 3.5 inch lifted 97 jeep cherokee with the aw4 and np231. bone stock drivetrain. i wanna swap in a 92 motor that has ALOT less miles on it. Would i be able to bolt up this older motor to a nv3550 5 speed and the np231 transfer case? any major things i need to look out for?? the jeep now has 204,815 miles on it and shes really starting to dog it. i really would appreciate any information on this swap.

im sure im gonna have to change up a few electrical items. any suggestions on a new crank positioning sensor for the new transmission? Will my current harness fit that?? also i have whats called a transmission range sensor on my current aw4 automatic transmission. when i swap to the nv3550 the harness that plugs into that sensor will be useless i hope the engine doesnt need a signal from that sensor to run correctly or at all.??! i need some good brain power on this one cuz my xj is on its last leg!!!

ridin'filthy said:
the jeep now has 204,815 miles on it

its just getting broken in!

it should be pretty straight forward. my bro's jeep has the opposite, a 97 4.0 from a TJ in a '89 comanche. use the old electronics and you are set.

-Tim

I did a NV3550 swap into my 96 XJ. The crank sensor will bolt right up in the normal position. For the wiring, you will need to cut the end from your AW4 neutral safety switch and wire it up for the reverse lights and for the clutch/start interlock. On my 96 the check engine light would come on because it wanted to see the trans shift from park to drive, well to fix this I had to wire up the clutch interlock switch, works just fine now. You may also want to get the newer style master/slave set-up too.

Back