• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Question, Possible dumb...Sorry

Seanxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i just got a my first cherokee about 2 weeks ago..Its a 1995 automatic tranny, straight 6 4.0l 4x4, jeep cherokee country edition, BONE stock...... And i Didnt notcie it at first when i test drove the rig but when ever i put it into and out of reverse of park theres like a thud.....Just wondering if this was a problem or not??? Or if im just paranoid? Any help would be appreciated!! thanks

Could be any number of things--transmission mount, some slop in the ring and pinion, slip yoke on the driveshaft.

What RPMs does it idle at, after about 20 minutes of operation--fully warmed up--with the transmission in DRIVE? Should be about 700~750 RPMs. If it is idling too high it will give a jolt when shifting.

you got this thing 2 weeks ago? and just now noticing it?

the warrenty is shot can't take it back now! lmao (just kidding)

but seriously check the u-joints, mounts & everything while under there lookin around.
just as retep draw & joe peters said. check the fluid in it too.

Im out in my brothers rig now so cant look at it but i will when i get back for sure, So it sounds like a problem? Its not normal? Its not a very loud thud or anything but never heard any car do it before, and i noticed it the first day i got it but didnt give it a second thought until my friend asked about it. Its also is not continous just when it goes in or out of reverse and drive.I will get back on when i get home and see if anything is wrong that i can see, thanks!!

Oh just reread joe_peters post i do know it idles a little high around 7mph, not sure of the rpms have not looked yet i would if i was home! thanks again

my buddy worked at a jeep dealership for a few years and i asked him about that a while back cuz ive heard it in almost every auto jeep ive been in and he told me that the splines at the end on the transfer case get worn out a little and a little on the driveshaft and when you put it into gear you hear that sound its no big deal and nothing to worry about

jake, seans jeep is only a 95,mine is a 89 & im not having this trouble noise. could it be because of the tranny that is in his?
specs on mine are 1989 cherokee limited, 4.0l i6 (not HO), aw4 tranny with the 242 t-case. now the only "unusual" noises i hear are from the normal body flex goin doin the road (wasn't properly fixed/streightened after being rear-ended).

my buddy worked at a jeep dealership for a few years and i asked him about that a while back cuz ive heard it in almost every auto jeep ive been in and he told me that the splines at the end on the transfer case get worn out a little and a little on the driveshaft and when you put it into gear you hear that sound its no big deal and nothing to worry about

Oh thats good news thanks =)

lols...

DO AS YOUR TOLD, and go check your motor mouns and driveshaft ujoints, dont listen to 'some guys' 'buddy who worked at a dealership'... he couldve been cleaning the toilets for all you know.

... the oem motor mounts have failed on every single jeep ive ever touched. if you let it continue, it'll put the mechanical fan thru your radiator. rev your motor while watching the motor, it should jump around that much, look at the motor mounts, they should be in 1 peice! not multiple.

... the rear driveshaft ujoints are another common failure, it'll get worse, untill you end up throwing a driveshaft. get under there and try to turn/move the driveshaft by hand, there shouldnt be looseness, besides the little bit in the trans.

these are both serious negligence issues, take car ownership seriously, dont dismiss things as normal cause some guy said so.

Thanks xcm, i was planning on checking those things out because of what previous people had told me above....But jake66 was telling me what i wanted to hear i guess...Heck it made sense to me....So i didnt want to dismiss it so i will definentaly get under it and check it out, so far i have failed to do that =( So i will go investigate a little later today!! Thank you!

Back