• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9"

weightsnwheels

NAXJA Forum User
okay so i was thinking about swapping an 8.8 and waggy 44 into my xj, but i really want a 9 inch rear end without having to cut a full width 9 down to size. is it possible to take a 9 out of a ford car, take a 3rd member from an old f series pickup (im told the pinion is alot beefier), and upgrade the carrier and shafts to 35 spline? and if so, is it a smart thing to do?

thanks,
Patrick

that is exactly what I have planned for this summer. The ford 9" is used by drag racers and racing enthusiasts around the country. You can find any setup you can think of.

Mine is close to stock width and came from that type truck. You can get a locker/carrier/ whatever you want to fit. You will want to get a nice pinion guard though as it hangs pretty low. Having it extend far enough to protect the Ujoint might be a good idea as well.

yeah, they're kinda like George Washington's hatchet... handle replaced 5 times, head replaced 3 times, it's still his hatchet. You can build a ford 9" using all aftermarket parts, but it's still a ford 9"!

The 9 inch for the F 150 and Full size Broncos is 63 WMS to WMS would Complimebt the width of the Waggy 44 well. Just my 2 cents. most of the cars rears are the small bearing ends. All the Trucks housing a large large bearing.

My F150 axles (1977) are 65 WMS to WMS. I run them like they are. Its wider but you gain stability, and you can use stock replacement shafts. If you cut down an axle you will need special order shafts.

Back